96: SPEW

"Zoe! Emma!" Hermione practically lunged at us at breakfast. "What's up"I asked

Hermione had an excited look on her face. "This isn't going to be good" muttered Zoe, I noticed a box in her hands.

"What's in the box?" I asked, pointing at it. 

"Funny you should ask," said Hermione, with a nasty look atZoe. She took off the lid and showed them the contents.Inside were about fifty badges, all of different colors, but allbearing the same letters: S.P.E.W. 

" 'Spew'?" said Zoe, picking up a badge and looking at it."What's this about?" 

"Not spew," said Hermione impatiently. "It's S-P-E-W. Standsfor the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare." 

"Never heard of it," said Zoe. 

"Well, of course you haven't," said Hermione briskly, "I've onlyjust started it." 

"Yeah?" said Zoe in mild surprise. "How many members haveyou got?" 

"Well — if you two join — five," said Hermione. 

"And you think we want to walk around wearing badges saying'spew,' do you?" said Zoe. 

"S-P-E-W!" said Hermione hotly. "I was going to put Stop theOutrageous Abuse of Our Fellow Magical Creatures and Campaign for a Change in Their Legal Status — but it wouldn't fit. Sothat's the heading of our manifesto." 

She brandished the sheaf of parchment at them."I've been researching it thoroughly in the library. Elf enslavement goes back centuries. I can't believe no one's done anythingabout it before now." 

"Hermione — open your ears," said Zoe loudly. "They. Like. It.They like being enslaved!" 

"Our short-term aims," said Hermione, speaking even more loudly than Zoe, and acting as though she hadn't heard a word, "areto secure house-elves fair wages and working conditions. Our longterm aims include changing the law about non-wand use, and tryingto get an elf into the Department for the Regulation and Control ofMagical Creatures, because they're shockingly underrepresented." 

"And how do we do all this?" I asked. 

"We start by recruiting members," said Hermione happily. "Ithought two Sickles to join — that buys a badge — and the proceeds can fund our leaflet campaign. You're treasurer, Zoe — I'vegot you a collecting tin upstairs — and Emma, you're secretary, soyou might want to write down everything I'm saying now, as arecord of our first meeting." 

There was a pause in which Hermione beamed at the pair ofus, and I sat, torn between exasperation at Hermione andamusement at the look on Zoe's face. The silence was broken. 

"Why are you here Granger?" Draco asked coming towards us.

"We were--"

"Emma!" I turned to see Harry running towards me. "Hedwig's-B-back." he panted, my heart leaped and I dragged him to a corner. I opened and read it. 

Harry, Emma —I'm flying north immediately. This news about your scar isthe latest in a series of strange rumors that have reached mehere. If it hurts again, go straight to Dumbledore — they'resaying he's got Mad-Eye out of retirement, which means he'sreading the signs, even if no one else is.I'll be in touch soon. My best to Ron and Hermione. 

Keepyour eyes open, guys. 

Sirius

Harry looked up at me, who stared back at him. 

"He's flying north?" I whispered. "He's coming back?" 

"Dumbledore's reading what signs?" said Harry, looking perplexed. "Emma — what's up?"