30: Defense Against The Dark Arts

Thingsstarted to go downhill for Harry and Ron from breakfast in the Great Hall. Thefour long House tables were laden with tureens of porridge, platesof kippers, mountains of toast, and dishes of eggs and bacon, beneath the enchanted ceiling (today, a dull, cloudy gray). Harry andRon sat down at the Gryffindor table next to Hermione and me, who hadher copy of Voyages with Vampires propped open against a milk jug, I was flicking through the same book while rolling my eyes, I had a strong feeling Gilderoy Lockhart was taking credit for someone else is work.There was a slight stiffness in the way we said " 'Morning," whichtold Harry that we were still mad of the way they had arrived. Neville Longbottom, on the other hand, greeted them cheerfully. 

"Mail's due any minute — I think Gran's sending a few things Iforgot." 

Harry had only just started his porridge when, sure enough,there was a rushing sound overhead and a hundred or so owls streamed in, circling the hall and dropping letters and packagesinto the chattering crowd. A big, lumpy package bounced offNeville's head and, a second later, something large and gray fell intoHermione's jug, spraying us all with milk and feathers."Errol!" said Ron, pulling the bedraggled owl out by the feet. Errol slumped, unconscious, onto the table, his legs in the air and adamp red envelope in his beak."Oh, no —" Ron gasped."It's all right, he's still alive," said Hermione, prodding Errolgently with the tip of her finger."It's not that — it's that."Ron was pointing at the red envelope. 

It looked quite ordinaryto Harry and me, but Ron and Neville were both looking at it as thoughthey expected it to explode."What's the matter?" said Harry."She's — she's sent me a Howler," said Ron faintly. "A what?" I asked.  "You'd better open it, Ron," said Neville in a timid whisper. "It'llbe worse if you don't. My gran sent me one once, and I ignored itand" — he gulped — "it was horrible."Harry looked from their petrified faces to the red envelope."What's a Howler?" he said, repeating my question.But Ron's whole attention was fixed on the letter, which had begun to smoke at the corners."Open it," Neville urged. "It'll all be over in a few minutes —"Ron stretched out a shaking hand, eased the envelope from Errol's beak, and slit it open. Neville stuffed his fingers in his ears. Asplit second later, I knew why. I thought for a moment ithad exploded; a roar of sound filled the huge hall, shaking dustfrom the ceiling.

"— STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL IGET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPEDTO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGHWHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE —"Mrs. Weasley's yells, a hundred times louder than usual, madethe plates and spoons rattle on the table, and echoed deafeninglyoff the stone walls. People throughout the hall were swivelingaround to see who had received the Howler, and Ron sank so lowin his chair that only his crimson forehead could be seen. 

"— LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, ITHOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WEDIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOUAND HARRY COULD BOTH HAVE DIED —" I had been wondering when my brother's name was going to cropup. Harry tried very hard to look as though he couldn't hear the voicethat was making his eardrums throb.

 "— ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED — YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULTAND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LLBRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME."A ringing silence fell. The red envelope, which had droppedfrom Ron's hand, burst into flames and curled into ashes. Harryand Ron sat stunned, as though a tidal wave had just passed overthem. A few people laughed and, gradually, a babble of talk brokeout again. 

Hermione closed Voyages with Vampires and looked down at thetop of Ron's head. "Well, I don't know what you expected, Ron, but you —" 

"Don't tell me I deserved it," snapped Ron.Harry pushed his porridge away. I sighed, they had suffered enough.  Professor McGonagall wasmoving along the Gryffindor table, handing out course schedules. I took mine and saw that we had double Herbology with theHufflepuffs first.Harry, Ron,me and Hermione left the castle together, crossed thevegetable patch, and made for the greenhouses, where the magicalplants were kept. "How can I make t up to you?' said Harry, I pretended to ponder "help me come up with new spells to torture Dudley with" I said with a smile "I thought of all of them last summer-"Harry laughed "Deal."