32. Spells Beyond the Porch

Cadmus' heart beat with fear as the tunnel led them out into a thick forest. It would remind him of the land above, if not for the trees seeming to be sculpted from bone, and their branches curving down to pluck him away from his love. One branch reached down, and he raised his hand to swat it away, but Eirene grabbed his wrist.

"Do not touch, dodge," she said, releasing him. She murmured a warning under her breath and the tree relented its attack, bending back to reach upwards to a cloud covered, grey sky.

"How do you know so much about the land of the dead?" Eirene pursed her lips and bit the inside of her cheek.

"I traveled between here and my parents' home as a child. The gods and goddesses here helped me grow my power more than my parents," she said, the lie slipping from her mouth leaving a terrible taste on her tongue. Soon, once they left the Underworld, she could tell him everything, including her true name. Cadmus huffed and followed her through the trees, where a house loomed from the shadows.

A feeling of a blanket fell over Cadmus, dark magic. The air was thick with it, the magic was cruel, dangerous. The scent of rainwater strengthened in his nose. The place reeked of Eirene and dark magic. He rustled and turned to his mate, who stared at him with apprehension.

"What place is this?" He growled. She shrunk before his withering gaze, but then stood tall.

"I grew up here, this is where I was taught," she said, her voice steady despite her hammering heart.

"Then why does it reek of dark magic?" He bristled, as she glared at him.

"We are in Hades' home, are you really surprised the air is thick with dark magic?"

"This is where you grew up, trained, surely Hades did not train you?"

"Of course not," she spit put, the lie burning against her lips.

"Then why, pray tell, is this air filled with dark magic?"

"Do you assume what I do with magic of the light? Cadmus," she said, her heart breaking as she told him one horrible truth about her abilities, "what I do is not light magic, I bring people back from the dead. That is not what, some say, is work of the light." Her heart thudded, waiting for his response.

"I never thought," he began.

"Do not judge me, my parents split my powers for light and dark. I had no choice in the matter," I said. Cadmus pulled her tight to his chest, inhaling her scent.

"My Eirene, don't fret. I know you do not want to do dark magic but are forced to," he said, stroking her hair gently. Her heart leaped at his words, but just as quickly fell. She was forced in her early years of practicing, yet as she grew older, she enjoyed the feeling of the magic humming in her veins, powering her abilities. She loved the feeling of dark magic, but she let herself be held and forgiven for sins she did not regret.

But all too quickly, reality stole her way from his embrace. She had to set up wards, protections and prepare for her meeting with Hades. She pulled away from his arms, making him grumble.

"We need to set up protections for the day while I meet with the gods and goddesses." She walked away from him and towards her house, sitting empty in the forest.

It was four stories, including an attic and basement. The black wood was worn, and the mustard yellow trim was peeling. The wraparound porch creaked and seemed to sink down as she walked up three steps to her door. Opening it, an onslaught of memories hit her.

Her mother sat at the kitchen table, stirring her chamomile tea. Makaria knit in the corner by the window. Zagreus threw darts at the wall, leaving pinpricks in the wood. A stew was steaming over the fire. Laughter filled the living room, spreading joy with it.

She saddened and pushed the door fully open and stepped into the foyer. Cadmus was on her heels, closing the door behind them. He pulled her back with an arm around her waist. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close his chest.

"Let me go beast," she said, lightly pushing him away when all she wanted to do was curl into his side and let herself feel his lips again. But they could not get distracted in Hades' realm, to do so would be near suicide. "I will set up protections. You can stay there and do not touch." She pointed to the green, squashy sofa in the living room. Many of her decor items were cursed, touching them would cause a very certain and barbaric death.

Cadmus grumbled but complied, plopping down onto the couch. Eirene followed behind him, then split off to enter the kitchen. Miraculously, no dust or cobwebs covered the counters or corners. It looked exactly as she had left it, pristine and powerful.

She collected her ingredients for her most powerful ward, and returned to see Cadmus reaching for the table lamp.

"That is not wise," she said, thrusting her hand forward and casting a spell. A thin barrier made of shimmery, white light encased the lamp. Cadmus' hand brushed the barrier, then bounced back with more force than he could have mustered on his own accord.

"What was that?"He asked, facing Eirene, who was trying to readjust the several jars and papers stacked in her arms.

"I said don't touch," she replied smoothly, catching a jar that slipped from her elbow with her foot. "If you don't mind, follow my instructions or we won't make it out alive." The jar floated back to the nook of her elbow as she passed Cadmus. "I couldn't live without you." The words slipped out yet they were true.

With her final words, she quickly left her house and stopped on the front porch, breathing deeply. The truth echoed in her chest. Somehow, through their short journey, she had managed to actually enjoy the wolf's company, not just enjoy, but she was ready to try anything to make it work between them. She wanted a life with him. Not only could she not live with him dead, but without him in her life would be worse than any torture Hades could conjure up for her.

Catching her breath, and letting the feeling of being wanted, of belonging, wash over her, she walked down the squeaky steps to her yard. She set down the jars and papers and began her spell.