12. Morning in the Mansion

The morning sun rose, but with it only Eirene woke. Cadmus could not fall back into sleep after last nights events, but in his lack of rest, knew Eirene needed to give him answers or her previous Makaria would not be brought back.

Eirene rose from her luxurious bed, well rested and thoroughly less anxious than yesterday. She had a plan, means, and help to bring her sister back. There was hope for her, and she didn't have to encounter her father.

She got ready in the attached bathroom, brushing through her hair and brushing her teeth. She then turned the shower on and bathed, dressing back in her white dress. She redid her hair in the braid down her back. She left the bedroom to meet an angry Cadmus.

"Who was in your room last night?" He growled. Eirene glared at him.

"Lovely way to wake up, but there was no one beast," she spit.

"I asked you to no call me that-"

"Unless you acted like one. Right now, you're acting like the beast you are. There was no one in my room," she said, pushing past him. As her shoulder met his arm, shocks ran through them both, making Cadmus's eyes darken and Eirene's mouth dry. She ignored the tightening in her lower stomach and went to the kitchen. She began to rummage through the cupboards in search of a substantial breakfast.

"I heard you speaking and a lamp breaking," Cadmus said, following her actions with her narrowed eyes.

"I rolled in my sleep and knocked the lamp off the table. And I must have spoken in my sleep," she growled. "Happy?" She finally found a jar of oats. She poured a handful into a bowl and began to boil water in the kettle.

"You were not mumbling as one does in sleep. You were speaking clearly. Who did you send to the Underworld, witch?" Eirene froze in the middle of reaching for tea leaves. Slowly she turned to face a glowering Cadmus.

"What. Did. You. Call. Me?" She said, anger laced in every word.

"Witch," he stupidly repeated. Eirene roared and lunged at him, despite begging a head shorter than him. She wrapped her arms around his throat and squeezed, ignoring the sparks racing through her blood at the contact.

"I am no witch," she spit in his face. "Never call me that again. If I were, you'd be lucky I haven't cursed you." She let him go, and stood to pull the whistling kettle off the stovetop, leaving Cadmus gasping for breath.

"No mortal has that strength. And you send someone to the Underworld in my room. I demand answers," Cadmus said hoarsely, standing to face Eirene. She ignored him and poured the water into the oats and into the mug with the tea leaves.

"Eirene, I ask you for answers," he said, trying a softer tone. Eirene's anger faded with his soft voice.

"Thank you. All you need was to ask." Cadmus growled. "Ask me kindly again. And say please." Eirene said in a sickly sweet voice.

"Please, may I have answers," Cadmus growled. Eirene looked at him and smiled sweetly.

"Of course, please sit while I eat." She walked to the small table and began to sip her tea. "What do you want to know?"

"Who was in your room? Why were they there? What did you do that caused all the glowing? And who did you send to the Underworld?" He said. Eirene hid her face with her mug. She couldn't answer all the questions without giving herself away, but she owed him honesty for all the reasons he gave last night. They were going to be traveling together for days, maybe weeks. And they were bound to each other as mates, some cruel joke from Selene, Eirene was sure. But he did deserve answers of what was happening under his roof. Eirene lowered her mug so it was cradled in her hands. She stared into the amber tea which steamed lightly.

"Very well. A creature of a friend was sent to follow me. I'm sure you understand, being escorted away by a Rider would cause concern. The creature knocked over the lamp. As it did so, I saw it's soul was severed. My friend must have attached part of its soul to the metallic being that followed me. I simply separated them, so the soul may return to the Underworld in peace, and its metal counterpart to my friend with assurance I am safe. That is all," Eirene said. She set down her mug and began to eat her oats.

"What creature exactly was in my room?" Growled Cadmus. Eirene whispered soenthing under her breath, which sounded suspiciously like three headed dog. "What?"

"A three headed dog."

"Those are fairy tale creatures, the only one in existence is," Cadmus began, but paused as the realization settled in. "Cerberus. The fabled Cerberus, guardian to the Underworld was in my room, and you, you did what exactly?" Eirene set down her spoon full of oats and looked at Cadmus for the first time in the conversation.

"I allowed his soul to reconnect with his body. He owes me and will allow us to enter the Underworld safely without Hades' knowledge." As she spoke, Cadmus's eyes widened.

"You are no witch."

"I told you," she said.

"What are you?"

"You will learn that on our journey I'm sure. Now we must leave as soon as we can. I shall make a list of supplies. We may have to visit my friend for magical items to aid us in the Underworld. I do also wish to say farewell," Eirene said.

"The same friend that worked with part of Cerberus' soul?"

"Yes." Eirene stood with her now empty bowl and half empty mug. She turned and began to go back to the kitchen, but stopped when Cadmus spoke.

"I will learn what you are? I need to know what I am mated to."

"And you will. But not today," she said.

The rest of the morning passed in a blur. By lunchtime they had two bags packed with supplies from the Rider stables, and clothes from the mansion. After a tear filled goodbye from Lady Eldridge and a stern promise to Lord Eldridge, Cadmus and Eirene began the walk into town, hoping to make it through the thick forest surrounding the town in two days. Beyond the forest were rolling hills then the kingdom and its castle. From their, they could collect the first item.