8. Up the Stairs

The Commander stared at Eirene, doubt etched into the lines beginning to form around his eyes.

"Liar," he said. Calliope stared between them.

"Sir, I swear she was-"

"Silence, but I thank you," the Commander said. Calliope nodded, and looked at Eirene. Eirene stared back, refusing to change her story.

"I wish to speak to," the commander paused, waiting for Eirene's name. She remained silent, and the Commander continued. "This liar alone."

"Yes sir," Calliope said, before leaving to room. She nodded as she passed the Commander.

Once the door had shut, the man looked back to Eirene.

"Lord Eldridge will be here in fifteen minutes time. I need to be able to answer for your presence in his esteemed mansion."

"I was brought here with the illusion of helping your Rider. You are accusing me of being a fairy tale, I would like to leave now," Eirene said. The Commander stared down at her with eyes beginning to narrow into slits.

"Very well, just one last question, if you told my Rider you could help her, how were you planning to accomplish your task?"

Eirene froze, then opened her mouth like a gasping fish. She was planning to lie through her teeth, retrieve two of the hardest items in the worlds, and help her sister.

"I was...I had planned a," her sentence drifted off as the Commander smirked.

"I am afraid, we will need you to perform a treatment with Lidia Eldridge."

"I cannot, and what you speak of is legend, myth," said Eirene weakly.

"I don't think you believe that, but if you can convince me, you are not the Summoner, you will leave and be paid for the trouble of being brought here," said the Commander. Eirene nodded.

"Thank you, I will show you." She gestures to the door, letting the Commander to lead the way to the vigil where Lidia laid. He nodded and opened the door to the corridor. Eirene followed him in stiff silence as he wove through the mansion, past expensive portraits, and marble statues.

At the turn up the grand, marble stairs, he waited for Eirene to join him at the foot of the gold and marble stairs. She joined him, standing under the crystal and gold chandelier that glittered with candles rather than lightbulbs, a choice to show the Eldridge wealth.

"After you," said the Commander, placing a large hand on Eirene's lower back. As he did so, both felt a wash of warmth fall over them, as if a warm bucket of water splashed on them. Eirene glared at him.

"Unhand me, beast," she spit. He held his hands  up, smiling, but his eyes darkened with lust. Eirene swallowed, trying to make her heart stop fluttering.

"Beast? What a curious thing for a witch to say," he remarked. She scoffed and began to climb up the stairs.

"I am no witch," she said. Her dearest friend wouldn't care for her sisters to be brought to the level of beasts.

"Then why do you reek of magic?" Said the Commander, following her up the stairs. "Do you even know where Lidia lies?"

"I do not-" she began.

"Then why are we climbing the stairs."

"I..I assumed," she spluttered, looking over her shoulder at the tall man.

"Fear not, we are indeed traveling in the correct direction." Eirene huffed and continued up the stairs to the top, where she paused. The Commander joined her and once again placed his hand on her lower back, guiding her to the nearest room. The feeling of warmth washed over them again. They both stopped. Eirene looked up at him.

"Well beast, I am no witch and I will prove it to you. As for the magic, I visited a dear friend who trades in items of such quality," Eirene whispered. The Commander merely smiled, and pushed the door open.

Inside the curtains were drawn and candles lit, as electricity was said to curse the dead, where their soul was trapped in damnation rather than paradise. The walls were covered in bookcases, with books filling every gap in the shelves. The colorful covers muted with the candlelight. A large table sat in the middle of the room, a black lace sheet draped over Lidia Eldridge's body, hiding her from view as her fall damaged her pleasant face.

In the farthest corner, a woman sat huddled over, knitting a black shawl to wear at the funeral, as was customary for the mother. Her red hair was just as muted as the books, and her kind eyes were rimmed in red from the tears that fell over her face.

Eirene entered the room and nodded the Lady Eldridge. She didn't look from her knitting, if not for the gently clicking of the needles, one would think she was a statue.

The Commander led Eirene to the left of Lidia. Eirene stared at the body covered in the black sheet. She slowly blinked, and as her eyes shut, the black sheet was replaced with white and the room changed to the kitchen of Zagreus's home. When her eyes opened, she saw the same room covered in books with the same black sheet, delicate flowers woven into the fabric.

"If I am to attempt to do that of myth, I need to be alone," Eirene said, looking at the Commander. When their eyes met, his darkened once again. Eirene's mouth went dry.

"I will need to be present," he said. Eirene rolled her eyes.

"As you wish, beast," she said. "But, Lady Eldridge..," her voice faded. The Commander nodded, and left Eirene's side. Her body cooled suddenly, as she watched him make his way to the chair. He bent down to whisper into Lady Eldridge's ear. She let out a small sob, but then looked up at Eirene.

When their eyes met, Lady Eldridge's eyes narrowed then widened, and something that had not been seen in her flickered to life.

Hope.

Pure hope, shone behind her lashes burdened with heavy tears. She nodded once to the commander and got up. She left her knitting on the seat, and glided out the door.

When the Commander and Eirene were left alone, silence thickened the air.

"I require your name," she said.

"For your magic, or otherwise," he responded.

"I have no magic," she said a little too quickly to be believed. "Otherwise."

"Cadmus Markson," he said. Eirene smiled. He just as well gave his name to the devil.