18. In the Castle

Cadmus and Eirene approached the castle gates and uneasiness began to set in for the wolf. Eirene had faced greater threats than a king, she understood the risks, but death did not plague her with fear as it did for Cadmus.

He knew the King, and was on fair terms with him, but thieving from him, and his crown no less, would certainly harm their relationship. But Cadmus set his shoulders, and plastered on a smile as Eirene and he reached the gate.

The guards, dressed in royal blue, like an ocean before a storm, nodded their heads to them.

"What is your purpose?" Asked the guard standing in front of the gates. The others remained in their position by the levers to open the gates, but their heads swiveled to look at the guests.

"I am here on behalf of Lord Eldridge for business," said Cadmus. The guard nodded and stepped aside, signaling for the others to open the gates. They each reached into their pockets, pulling out large, silver keys which they inserted into keyholes under the levers. With a loud click, the levers began to lower themselves, and the gates swung open.

"Thank you," said Cadmus as they passed the guard.

"Of course Sir, I shall inform his Majesty of your presence," he responded. Eirene followed Cadmus as they entered the castle grounds. The path was smooth cobblestone and lined with blooming rose bushes, the blush pink of the flowers complimenting the gold and marble castle that towered over them. A dozen white steps led to the grand doors. On every step was a guard, with two more at the doors.

Cadmus and Eirene walked side by side up the long drive, when they were about thirty yards from the stairs, Cadmus grabbed Eirene's elbow and held her back.

"What?" She snapped.

"The King would not take lightly to an unmarried woman in my company. He is a dear friend, awaiting my wedding. It would very much please him," said Cadmus, the end of his sentence trialing off with a smile and twinkle in his eye. Eirene pulled her arm out of his grasp and crossed it with her other arm.

"You want me to lie to the King?" She raised her eyebrows. "An inn keeper is one thing, but a King?"

"And you wish me to step his crown, what of it? Easing his mood to a joyful one, would not harm our mission," he said. Eirene thought over her choices. Either be in Cadmus' company and possibly anger the King, or pretend to be betrothed to her mate. She cursed to the sky, hoping possibly Selene had heard.

"Fine," she said between gritted teeth. "But do not kiss me." Cadmus smirked.

"I shall not, but we must act the part," he said, pulling her arms to her side and interlacing his fingers with hers as they began to walk to the steps again. Eirene rolled her eyes and tried her best to ignore her fluttering heart.

In their conversation, the doors had opened and a portly, black man stepped out. He had a blue cape, matching the color of the guards, a white suit, and a magnificent, glittering crown perched on his curly, greying hair. His aging face lit up at the sight of Cadmus.

"My boy," he boomed, laughing as he began to wobble down the steps. "How lovely to see you!" He began to bounce to Cadmus and upon reaching him, embraced him. Eirene stood awkwardly to the side, her hand still trapped in Cadmus' grasp. Some of the guards snickered at her predicament, but after receiving a snarl from Eirene, composed themselves back to indifference.

The King released Cadmus, and stepped back, only then seeing Eirene.

"Oh my Lady, how lovely, what a catch for my dear Cadmus," laughed the King. Eirene couldn't help but blush, so her cheeks matched the roses on either side of them.

"Why thank you, your Majesty," said Eirene, stooping into a curtesy. The King laughed at her actions.

"Nonsense, a friend of Cadmus does not need to bow to me, all I ask is respect," he laughed. Cadmus began to laugh with him. "Come, come, follow me." The King turned and bounded away, chortling all the way up the steps.

Eirene looked over at Cadmus with disbelief.

"He's quite odd, but you shall warm up to his strange demeanor," said a gleeful Cadmus.

"I hope so," said Eirene. She owed him kindness if she were to steal his crown. She steeled herself before following the King, dragging Cadmus behind her.

They walked up the grand steps and through the ornate doors. Inside was a large marble hall, a golden chandelier hung from the high ceiling, painted with varying scenes of past King's in battle. On either side were passages to deeper into the castle, and ahead were a second pair of doors, open to reveal a ballroom in the middle of being decorated. Garlands of blue roses, and golden leaves hung around the floor to ceiling windows, while a throne was being adjusted on its pedestal.

"Ah yes," chuckled the King, following Eirene's gaze. "Our annual ball, oh!" He clapped his hands and looked between Eirene and Cadmus. "I would be delighted if you came. Then we may catch up, and you can tell me how you managed to catch such a lovely girl." Cadmus bowed his head.

"We would love to attend, but we did not prepare for a ball, and do not have the proper attire," he said, but Eirene squeezed his hand. Cadmus looked down at her.

"He will be distracted. Get the crown at ball," she mouthed. Cadmus gave her a subtle nod.

"But I'm sure we can find something," he finished. The King bounced and practically glowed.

"How wonderful, wonderful. Yes, you must come. I shall have my tailor and seamstress fit you both."

"We cannot accept," murmured Eirene.

"But you must. It's rude to decline a gift, and from a King," he said in mock outrage, but he had a twinkle in his warm eyes. "I shall have you fitted after teatime." The King bounced away to his tea and scones in the library, leaving a stunned Eirene and smiling Cadmus under the chandelier.

Eirene turned to face Cadmus, shock written on her face.

"I, I don't know what to say," she said quietly.

"He's a gentle man, kind and loving. The best King this kingdom has seen," said Cadmus as a maid came up to them. She wore a blue dress with an empire waist, and boat neckline. She smiled at them.

"If you'll follow me, I'll show you to your room," she said. They followed her up the stairs and down a hall filled with sculptures and half with vases full of fresh flowers. She paused in front of a door halfway down the hall, and opened it.

"After you," she said, beckoning them to enter first. Eirene went into the room and gasped. It was lovely, painted in creme, with baby blue curtains fluttering in the wind from the open window, and a white bed with a white duvet set with gold embroidery. The maid bowed out of the room and closed the door.

Eirene was once again, reminded of her childhood, and her days playing with Makaria when none of the other children would come near her. Her determination to bring Makaria back to the land of the living increased, she had never done well in their father's realms. Makaria had always taken after their mother, where Zagreus follows their father's footsteps. It left Eirene in the middle, where Persephone and Hades both tried to influence her one way or another. To the light, or the darkness.