15. A Room in the Inn

As the sun began to lower in the sky, Eirene and Cadmus reached the outskirts of the town. It ws similar to their own, in that there were little homes crammed together on the edges of town, and as one traveled towards the center of town, markets replaced houses, and traveling salespeople replaced flowers on doorsteps.

When they passed any vendor, they reached out their dirty hands clutching fake jewels and jewelry towards Eirene, asking Cadmus to prove his love for her by buying her a trinket from them. They both ignored the salespeople and continued to the other side of town to the inn.

It was a blue building with several floors. The buildings on either side were painted the same baby blue, curtains were pulled in every window, with light starting to spill onto the walkway with the steadily sinking sun.

Cadmus opened the door and Eirene entered the warm building. As she walked in, a little lady with sleek, white hair, waved hello.

"Welcome, welcome, come in, its getting dark out. What can I do you for?" She said with a warm smile. Eirene let her tense shoulders drop and smiled back. Cadmus came behind her and followed her lead as she stepped up the counter.

"A room please," she said. Despite the funds given for their trip, they could only spend enough for one room, but with two beds they will not have to cross paths in their sleep. The lady smiled knowingly and reached behind her to where a single key hung on a hook numbered twenty three. She plucked it off the wall and set it on the counter.

"Three silver pieces for the night," she hummed. Eirene placed the pieces on the counter, and grabbed the key.

"Thank you, is there room service?" Cadmus said. Eirene shot him a dirty look, whatever he planned, she was not fond of it. "I don't want you to leave a bed, you look exhausted." Her face softened, and understood. They had been walking all day, and she must look as tired as she felt. Her limbs were heavy and her head longed for a soft pillow.

"No, but for you, I can make anything happen," chirped the lady, looking Cadmus over appreciatively. Eirene felt a coil of anger in her stomach, was this jealousy? She scoffed, it couldn't be. Unfortunately, the sound was not missed by either the lady or Cadmus. The lady frowned for second, but it morphed into a teasing smile. "Ah young love."

Eirene blanched.

"Oh no, not," she began, but was cut off by Cadmus squeezing her tight against his side. She tried to ignore how warm he was, and tried to pull away, but he merely hugged her tighter.

"It's our honeymoon," he said. "And you can understand if we don't wish to leave our room." He winked for added effect. Both Eirene and the little old lady blushed. Eirene growled, but quietly so only he could hear.

"Well them, here's this back, and order what you wish back down here. I'll have someone bring it up," she said, giving them back a silver coin. Eirene used this as a chance to break free from Cadmus' grasp to scoop the coin into her pocket. Cadmus grabbed her shoulder and steered her towards the stairs down the hall from the desk. As they left, the lady watched them go with a smile. She remembered what it was like to be young and in love. She had opened the inn with him just a year before his death, now the business was the only thing connecting her to him.

"What was that?" Snapped Eirene, glaring at Cadmus.

"A way to save us a silver coin," he said. "I want to hurry to our room and get food. I'm starving."

"You didn't need to imply," said Eirene, trailing off.

"Imply what? That I wanted to spend the rest of our night in a passionate-"

"Stop it," said a furiously blushing Eirene. She hurried in front of him, ready to be rid of his annoying presence. Cadmus merely chuckled and followed her. They climbed the stairs to the second floor and turned down the hallway. After two doors on their right, laid their door. It was painted a warm, pastel yellow with a blue twenty three painted right below the eyehole. Eirene inserted the key, and twisted it. The door unlocked with a click, and she let herself in. Leaving the door open for Cadmus. Immediately inside to the right, was the bathroom with a toilet and bathtub, which Eirene knew she would indulge in tonight. Ahead was a small kitchen area with a stove, oven, and icebox. Beside the kitchen was a table for two, fresh picked flowers sitting in the center. Off of the kitchen and dining room was the bedroom.

Eirene walked to the doorway and looked into the room.

"Hell no," she said. She immediately turned and glared at Cadmus. "This is your doing." Cadmus joined her and looked in.

There was one bed with simple blue sheets and a white duvet. Plush pillows were lined against the white headboard. Cadmus looked at Eirene, smirking.

"Happy honey moon, my love," he said. Eirene blushed and stormed to the bathroom, slamming the door shut. Inside, the sound of running water could be heard as she began to fill the bathtub up. Cadmus looked back the bed, and began to get to work, placing the pillow in the center of the bed as a wall between them. He then went to the table where a simple menu was laid out. He scanned the options over and decided on a chicken dish, that would not be too difficult for the cook at such a late hour.

He passed the bathroom and knocked.

"Don't you dare come in here, beast," yelled Eirene, making Cadmus laugh.

"I was not intending to, I am ordering our diner and will be downstairs," he said. He left the room, trying to ignore the thought that he would be sleeping next to his mate for the first time.