44. Death in the Mansion

Melinoe stepped into the house and flicked her wrist, making the door snap shut.

"Miss Menour, I said close the door quietly. I need my sleep, I told you!" Lord Eldridge yelled from deep within the house. Melinoe smirked at his foolishness.

She crept into the mansion and up the stairs.

"Marge! Who's there?" After no one responded, Melinoe heard a curse. "Marge!" Another curse.

Melinoe moved up the stairs to the Lord's office. She walked to around the desk, brushing several papers to the floor. She then sank into the supple, leather chair, waiting for the Lord to enter.

He eventually opened the door and glanced over his office, his eyes settling on Melinoe where they sharpened.

"What are you?" He sneered. Melinoe let the insult slide as she sat up slightly, leaning forward and resting her elbows on the desk.

"I am a goddess."

Lord Eldridge laughed. "And I am a god, freak. Security," he called. When no sound of running footsteps reached them, he scowled. "Security!" Still no one came.

"You're alone here. Take care, you mocked a goddess."

Lord Eldridge's face paled, but quickly returned to its normal shade.

"Leave freak, and if no security will deal with you, I'll throw you out myself," he snarled. Melinoe sat up and circled to the front of the desk.

"I won't leave until you're dead."

"You can't kill me."

Melinoe smirked, flicking her wrist, sending a series of sparks snapping over Lord Eldridge's skin. He yelped and sank to his knees. The sparks faded into a burn that sank into his bloodstream, cycling like fire under his skin. He screamed in agony.

"I am a goddess, and you, like the greedy, human filth you are, tries to use me for profit. For that act alone you will pay, admit your sins, and I will lessen your punishment," Melinoe said, offering him a lifeline that would drag him under, although he didn't know that.

"My daughter," he gasped. "I...pushed her off a cliff."

Melinoe felt the truth sink into her, and she felt the wet silver drip from her palms. It flowed on the floor, then rose to wrap around Lord Eldridge's arms, pinning them to his side in silvery ropes. It dug against his skin, burning his flesh.

"Why?" Melinoe snarled.

"To find the Summoner," he said through clenched teeth.

"To enslave her?" Lord Eldridge stiffly nodded, sending jolts of pain down his spine. "What else?"

"My wife, I-" he gasped as the ropes tightened around his torso, putting pressure on his ribs. "I killed her."

His breathing grew labored while Melinoe's hands began to glow.

"Daddy?" A small boy stood in the doorway, hugging a worn, stuffed bear to his chest. Lord Eldridge stared over his shoulder at his son. The last member of his family, standing as a frightened little boy. That's all he was, a poor little boy too small and young to understand the cruelty of the world. His eyes were wide as he stared back at his father, kneeling on the ground, wrapped in silver ropes that burned his flesh and blood flowing from his nose.

"Go back to bed Noah, this doesn't concern you," Lord Eldridge said through teeth clenched from the pain.

"But Daddy, who is this?" He stepped forward into the room.

"Stay back!" He shouted. Noah yelped and quickly moved back. "Go to bed, I'll be right there."

"No, you won't," Melinoe said quietly. Lord Eldridge's gaze snapped back to her.