25. Chaos in the Ballroom

Cadmus grumbled leaving the room. He knew Eirene's words were lies, the guilt in her eyes told him such. She was built to be cruel, she did not become the monster he met in that room. She was made that way, and when he found out who, there would be Hell to pay.

His wolf still growled and grumbled about her kissing a lowly guard when he was just outside and they had not yet kissed. He was her mate after all. But Cadmus brushed his wolf off, there was a reason for her doing such. 

He shook his head, they would need to figure out what happened, and where to go from here. He would not let her go, not if she still cared. Cadmus closed the door and approached the King's throne.

"Hello your Majesty," Cadmus said as a half dozen guards came into the ballroom. They split up so three lined themselves on either side of the King.

"Yes, what is this?" He said, frowning slightly looking at the guards. "I was enjoying my party."

"Your Majesty, there is an intruder, they want to steal your crown. We are here to protect you as the Head Guard will collect your crown for safe keeping," the strongest looking guard said, leaning over to talk into the King's ear. The King nodded. 

"Of course, of course, but the ball?"

"Shall continue, your Majesty," said the guard. The King nodded enthusiastically. He would hate for his fabulous ball to be canceled over such a small thing as a robbery. 

"Very good, they have traveled far and wide to come. I would hate to send them home so early in the night," he said. He looked over his guests who seemed not to notice the increase in guards. They continued to dance merrily around the room. "Oh Cadmus, my boy, how are you? Where is your lovely wife? She was just visiting an old friend."

"She and I had a falling out. I am not fond of her friends, but tonight we will discuss it," Cadmus said, reassuring the King when a worried look fell over his face. But he broke out into a smile and clapped.

"Very good, ah here is my Head Guard, Madam Alisis' friend," said the King, beckoning the man who had been dead on the floor mere minutes earlier closer to him. He looked well, as if no harm had come to him. He bowed and whispered into the King's ear. The King nodded, took off his crown and handed to the guard, who thanked him. It happened in a second, the crown was theirs. Cadmus mentally applauded his mate, as the guard left the ballroom. 

"I think I shall find my wife," Cadmus said, excusing himself. 

"Go, yes, yes, enjoy the night in my home. You are welcome back anytime," the King said. 

Cadmus smiled and followed the guard out the ballroom. They walked down the hall which had previously been lined with guards. At the end of the hall, stood Eirene. Candlelight flickered over her, and she smiled at the sight of the crown. She was one step closer to saving Makaria. It was clear where each sibling belonged. Zagreus belong in the Underworld, but human ways left him far too entertained to return. Makaria took after their mother, a daughter of the spring, who longed for the sun. It left Eirene in the middle, a rag doll for her parents to pull on. 

Cadmus looked over Eirene's form. Despite murdering someone earlier, she still looked like perfection. Her dress did not have a single crease, and there was no blood to be found on her. She stood regally at the end of the hall, and Cadmus could see her as a Queen. Who was he mated to?

"The crown, yes thank you. And Cadmus," she said sourly. The guard handed the crown to Eirene who set it on her head, and he backed away from her. Cadmus approached, smiling.

"My wife," he began.

"Don't call me that," she snarled. She turned away from him, and smiled at the guard. Cadmus felt jealousy rise in him. Did he not deserve a smile like that? "You have completed your favor, you shall continue to serve under the King. Here," she waved her hands over the guard's head, where a crown materialized from air, "is a replica. The crown was not stolen, you will continue your work here." She turned from the guard and back to Cadmus. "Come, we must pack and leave before midnight." The guard nodded and left them alone, going to place the fake crown in a hidden location for its safety. Cadmus stared, slack jawed at Eirene.

"What?"

"You are no witch."

"As I've been telling you. And as I remember, you reach this conclusion ever so often only to forget it," she said. 

"That man was dead."

"He was."

"Now he is not."

"You're quite right, however this childish conversation could be held while we pack," suggested Eirene. Cadmus shook himself out of his revere and followed Eirene to their suite.

Opening the door, they saw all their belongings neatly folded on the bed, freshly washed and a new, royal blue dress for Eirene, along with a new pair of brown trousers for Cadmus, added to their small packs. 

"They knew we weren't staying,"murmured Eirene. Cadmus nodded, absentmindedly, but he paused mid-stride to the bed. 

"Why don't we stay? A lovely bed like this is a once in a life time opportunity. And with the fake crown, no one will suspect anything. Leaving early may arise suspicions they wouldn't have if we stay," Cadmus said. "And we need to talk." Eirene looked the room over, mulling over his words. He was not wrong. Slowly, she took off the crown, waving a hand over it. A mist fell over it, hiding it from view. When the mist cleared, a straw gardening hat sat innocently in Eirene's hands. She set it on a nearby chair. 

"You're right, we should stay. It's far too late to leave now anyways," she said. Cadmus did not respond. Once again, her magic had left his speechless. Eirene rolled her eyes and brushed past him to go to the washroom and prepare for bed. She longed for a bath with the soaps and bath salts she had eyed earlier.