13. Into Asphodel Trinkets

The trees cast shadows over the trail as Eirene and Cadmus walked behind the mansions. A warm breeze washed over them as the sun shone down. Every mansions they passed gardeners and landscapers worked on the varying flower beds and pools. Cadmus nodded to each them as they passed while Eirene focused on the town.

The townspeople were already busy about their days, setting up stands in the market to sell their various goods. Eirene saw Mrs. Juliana leading her wife around their house.

"How did you encounter your friend?" Cadmus said, breaking the silence that had fallen over them since the morning.

"My friend?" Said a smiling Eirene. Of course Cadmus wanted to know more about Zagreus.

"The one who held part of Cerberus' soul?" Cadmus pressed.

"Ah, that is Zagreus."

"Zagreus Plato, owner of Asphodel Trinkets? That rat sells dark magic, works with the dead, and tricks his customers," spit Cadmus. Eirene looked back at a grumbling Cadmus.

"Did he wrong you?" Smirked Eirene.

"I have had to purchase, items from him, but they failed to give results. Lord Eldridge was not pleased," Cadmus said.

"Naturally he wasn't. What did you purchase? And what intention did you set after the purchase?" Eirene said as they passed under the shade of a particularly large sycamore tree. The stone sheets of the pathway turned to cobblestone.

"We purchased a series of crystals for protection, but once the Riders sewed them into our uniforms, the did nothing. My first choice for second in command was injured that day and could not work under me any more," said Cadmus sadly. Eirene looked back at him. His eyes were cast down, but once he felt her eyes in him, he looked up. "That thieving creature cost me my best Rider that day."

"Did you set intention?" Said Eirene quietly.

"What?"

"Intention. When you set out, did you intend for the crystals to protect you, or just expect no harm to come to you?" Cadmus fell silent then growled.

"He still did not tell us to set our, as you say, intention. He still cost my Rider his career."

"Your Rider caused his own harm. He expected no harm to come to him, and therefore out himself in harms way. If you despise my friend, so be it, but we need his help to survive the Underworld," said Eirene. Cadmus growled.

"I will not trust his work, but I will trust your choice in him. I still despise the thief," he said. Eirene hummed, one should not despise a God.

"Very well. Come, stay quiet as we pass through town," said Eirene. 

"Why? I will not-"

"You must. The townspeople are not fond of Riders," said Eirene. They stepped into the main street of the town. The nearby people fell silent and stared as they passed. Eirene glared at them, and they quickly averted their gazes to carry on their way, although at a quicker pace. Cadmus glowered after them. Eirene caught him glaring and slapped his arm.

"Stop scaring them. Come we're almost there." They turned down the alleyway to Asphodel Trinkets. The similar sign hung above the shop.

Inside, Zagreus fiddled with the gears and wires of Cerberus. He wired Cerberus back into a moving creature capable of imitating life. The creature whirred to life once again. It lifted each head and wiggled its gears. Zagreus paused when a knock echoed through the shop.

He rose from his work bench, and looked out from behind the counter. At the front of the shop, stood Eirene and the commander of the Riders. He quickly opened the door.

"Welcome, Eirene darling," he cheered. "Come in."

"Thank you," Eirene said, stepping into the shop. Cadmus growled at Zagreus as he followed Eirene.

"Who have you brought along?"

"Cadmus Markson," he growled. Zagreus nodded and shut the door. Zagreus dodged between them to behind the counter.

"What can I do for you?" He chirped. Eirene smiled at him.

"Thank you, we are going to the Underworld, and I don't want Hades to realize I, we, are there," said Eirene.

"Yes, of course, Da- Hades can be quite," Zagreus paused, "difficult. But nevertheless, he shall not know you are passing onto his land. He will be looking for you," Zagreus warned.

"I know, the gloves you gave me before," began Eirene.

"You left at my shop, but I suppose they never aided you. Here," he said producing them from behind the counter. He handed them over to Eirene, who thanked him. "And for your," prompted Zagreus.

"Companion," interjected Eirene, pulling on the gloves. She glared at Cadmus as she said it. He glared back at her. He knew they would discuss their relationship further.

"Well your companion reeks like a beast, Hades will sense him immediately if his uniform doesn't already. I give you." He produced a grey cloak. It matched the one Eirene wore. "This shall hide you from the creatures of the Underworld."

"I won't wear a damn cloak," growled Cadmus. "Not from you."

"Oh?" Questioned Zagreus.

"Oh?" Echoed Eirene. She looked between Zagreus and Cadmus. "You want to listen to Zagreus. He has more experience than you do with magical items."

"I will do no such thing." Eirene faced him at his words, and crossed her arms.

"Your life is on the line, including Lidia's soul. The longer we delay, the harder it will be to recover her soul." Indecision flashed in Cadmus' eyes.

"Fine," he growled. He grabbed the cloak and tossed it over his large form.

"Thank you," said Eirene, tossing a smile his way, making his face soften. She then turned to Zagreus, and leaned over the counter to hug him.

"Zagreus, we will repay you. Pomegranate from home," Eirene whispered. He smiled, and she released him. Cadmus placed a hand on Eirene's shoulder, pulling her slightly back from the counter.

"Thank you," he said gruffly. "We must go." They turned to leave, Eirene taking a step away from Cadmus, so he had to drop his hand. They went to the door, and Cadmus held the door open for Eirene. As she stepped onto the doorstep, Zagreus spoke.

"Beast," he barked. Cadmus eyes began to narrow as Zagreus continued. "Watch your actions. Eirene is more valuable than you could ever know." Cadmus relaxed.

"I won't let any harm come to her," he promised. Zagreus nodded and turned back to his workshop as Cadmus left.