27. Plans in the Library

Makaria wandered through the cold corridors of her father's castle. The candles flickered as she passed them, and mist clung to the floor and her feet. It bubbled up around her hips with every step. Her dark skin had paled slightly without the sun, and her bright eyes were dull. The Underworld sucked the life out of those who did not belong.

Makaria mirrored her mother. They had the same dark skin, bright eyes, cheerful smiles. They cared with all their heart. And they did not belong in the land of the dead. Persephone would stay for half the year, she loved Hades despite their vast differences. Yet as she lived with him, surrounded by death he was her home not the land. She longed for the sun, just as Makaria did.

She traced her delicate fingertips over the smooth, black walls.

"Makaria," sang a voice through the mist in front of Makaria. She looked away from her fingertips on the wall to stare through the mist. From it, a form began to take place, a tall man stepped in front of her and smiled.

"Zagreus," she cried and flung her arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight hug. "What are doing here? Come," she said, pulling him into a library. "Father has ears and he need not know you are here."

Zagreus raised his eyebrows, he was father's favorite. Why should he not say hello?

"Well?" She asked quietly, careful not be heard from outside.

"What?" Zagreus said loudly, and looked into Makaria's eyes. They were honey colored, like their mother's.

"Why are you here?" She whispered.

"Have you eaten?" He asked. She rolled her eyes.

"No, I'm not like you, I don't want to stay here forever." Zagreus smiled and wiggled his eyebrows, making Makaria giggle.

"May I present," he said, pulling a loaf of bread from inside his jacket and holding it in front of him. "Food for my sister. From the living world of course."

She smiled and grabbed the bread, immediately pulling a large piece off and into her mouth.

"Thanks choo," she mumbled through her full mouth. She swallowed and looked back at her brother. "I haven't been able to eat anything since I got here. How long has it been?"

"You know I don't keep track of such trivial things as time. That is for the mortals."

Makaria sighed then glared at him. "Why are you here?"

He rolled his eyes.

"Can't I just visit my sister? As you said, I adore the Underworld."

"But you were having your fun with the living, and you wouldn't come down here until you got bored. Which we know won't be for another century," Makaria grumbled, pushing him for answers. Yet in true Zagreus fashion he merely winked and laughed.

"Specifics, specifics, who wants to get caught up in those?" Makaria glared, making him laugh. She reminded him of Melinoe, Eirene, which sobered him almost immediately. "Our sister," began before Makaria cut in.

"Is she alright? How does she find the living world? Does she like it? I knew she would. She took after Mother more, but what is it?" She said, looking at Zagreus' morose expression.

"She's coming down."

"Down?"

"She's visiting the Underworld," he said. Makaria blew out a breath through clenched teeth, anger rising in her.

"Why?" Zagreus looked her over with pity.

"You."

"No," she breathed out, collapsing on a nearby armchair. Last Makaria had known, Melinoe left the Underworld and swore to never return. Doing so meant she would become the Commander of her father's army and unable to live the life Eirene wanted.