37. With the King

Eirene stepped out of her house, squared her shoulders and began her march to her old home, Hades' castle. The wolf in the front yard bounded to her side and trotted by her, wagging their tail enthusiastically.

The castle loomed over her, the black marble glinted menacingly. Hades stood on the stairs as he had in her vision back in the King's palace in what felt like a lifetime ago.

"Father," she spat approaching him. The wolf bristled at her hostile tone and narrowed its eyes to Hades.

"My lovely Melinoe, how sweet to return to your rightful home. I have an offer you cannot refuse," he sneered. Eirene looked him over. He was a weak imitation of the powerful King he once was. She scoffed.

"What would that be?"

He grinned and raised his arm not leaning on his cane to gesture around the Underworld.

"A place at my side, ruling your own army. I promise you the world."

"You're a fool to think I would accept." Hades lowered his hand at her words and glared into the face of his daughter, though he could not recognize her through the glamour. She hid her true form to not be outcast among those she never would belong to. With him, she could be her true self.

"I am no fool," he growled. The wolf beside her shook out its fur coat and its ear laid back as it bent to attack. She stoked its head, calming its low rumble. "Clever pet."

"Mate," Eirene snapped. Hades face lit up in amusement.

"Well, well, how the times have changed."

"I want my immortality back."

"Oh, so you noticed I plucked it away. Took you long enough, come let's discuss this in my office. The wolf stays outside. I don't like wild animals." Eirene and the wolf growled, making Hades chuckle darkly.

"The wolf comes with."

"Fine, but it is not allowed in my office, I couldn't stand the fur." Eirene glared at her father as he turned and began to make his way to his office. She followed him into the cold castle. They wove through the twisted passages of the castle and arrived in front of the ornate doors to Hades' office.

"Sit," Melinoe whispered. The wolf obeyed and laid down on the cool stone floor.

"Obedient," observed Hades. Melinoe rolled her eyes and beckoned for her father to let her into the office. He opened the door and glided into the room, sitting behind the desk. Eirene sat across form him in one of the plush armchairs.

Once she was closer, she could see how sickly he looked. She stared at her father, a ghost of what he once was. He hair hung in limp tendrils, his skin was ashen and sunken in, so his cheekbones protruded from his face sharp as knives. His eyes held no life, no joy like they had through Eirene's childhood. Hades sat back in his chair, looking his daughter over. The living world had been kind to her, her skin was glowing, her hair healthy. Although perhaps that could be credited to the wolf standing outside his office.

"What do you want from me? I wish only to leave with what I came with," Eirene sneered.

"Ah, but daughter, I need someone to rule my army. And no one except for you could ever do so," he said, lacing his hands together.

"Zagreus would be just as well as me, if not better," Eirene muttered, pulling him into fury.

"I thought I taught you to speak up when you were younger, or have you forgotten my teachings?" Eirene glared at him, her eyes boring into his cold ones that were devoid of any emotion.