3. Truth in the Tavern

Eirene walked into the crowded tavern, smelling of wet fur from the lining of the tavern-goers coats. Conversation stopped when the door slammed shut. Heads turned as she entered, but just as quickly looked away. People busied themselves in forced conversation as she passed, walking to the bar.

"I'll have three teas please," she said to the scruffy looking woman behind the bar. She was wiping down a glass with a rag that looked as if it had cleaned thousands of glasses before that one.

"Are ya nuts?" The bartender croaked, setting the glass down with a heavy thud.

"No, just want something to warm me," she said.

"An' that's three teas?"

Eirene nodded with a smile. The bartender shrugged and ducked under the bar, emerging with three grey mugs in hand. She set them down, pouring steaming water into them, then placing a tea bag in each mug.

She handed a small jar of sugar and a cup with milk to Eirene. She then placed the mugs on a tray and gestured for Eirene to follow her with the hand not balancing the tray. Eirene followed the bartender to a table tucked in the farthest corner of the tavern, out of sight from any one coming in. She was scared Eirene would scare away the customers, if the smell didn't already.

At the table next to her, there was a woman, hunched over a bowl of steaming soup. Her blue, woolen coat hiding any distinguishing features. She scooped some soup to her lips, blowing on it lightly before sipping it delicately from the spoon. Just as nobility would, or one who worked near such nobles.

A table over another woman sat tall with striking amber eyes, a rare color in the town. Her green cloak was finely made with no loose threads and thick wool. She too, was near nobility, perhaps part of one of the noble families.

Eirene sipped her tea, watching the door.

As Eirene surveyed the tavern, a throat cleared in front of her. Eirene looked up to a tall man with a black goatee. He sneered down at her.

"Is this seat taken?" He asked, pointing to the one across from Eirene.

"Yes," said Eirene, gesturing to the mugs on the table. "I'm awaiting company." The man rolled his eyes and went back to a table where other men booed and slapped his back. Eirene rolled her eyes and continued to watch the tavern from her secluded corner.

After a few minutes, the bar returned to its warm chatter once more, and the lady in blue had finished half her soup. The door swung open, and Mrs. Juliana scurried into the tavern. She didn't walk to the bar, but rather glanced over the tavern with wide eyes. Her eyes found the lady in blue, and she hurried to sit across from her.

They both began talking immediately, and then ensued in a exchange of apologies and gesturing for the other to speak. After a fit of giggles, the lady in blue spoke quietly. Eirene couldn't hear from her seat, until she spoke louder. Eirene slid ever so slightly closer to her, as did the woman on green on the other side. Although the woman in blue never noticed.

"Did you hear?" Whispered the lady in blue.

"Marge," scoffed Mrs. Juliana, "the whole town is buzzing about the poor girl. Such a shame, too much death."

"Not the girl, but such a tragedy, truly horrid. But Lord Eldridge," Marge Menour said.

"What of him?" Hissed Mrs. Juliana.

"He sent out his Riders this morning," whispered Marge, glancing around for listening ears. Her eyes skimmed over Eirene, but quickly focused back on her dear friend.

"As they do for every death. It's not a special occasion to send out Riders to find the Summoner. By now it's almost customary now with death. Grieving baskets and all that," said Mrs. Juliana.

"Oh but Lacy, it's different this time."

"How do you know this?" Mrs. Juliana asked, leaning forward.

"Their boy," said Miss Menour, staring into the distance just as she had in the kitchen earlier that day, "Noah, he was told his sister would return."

"And what of that? They don't tell children the truth, it's an awful weight for them to bare," said Lacy.

"Not the Eldridge family, they would never hide the truth. I think," she paused, "I think they know where the Summoner is."

Mrs. Juliana paled and her eyes immediately skittered over Marge and the tavern. They, unlike Marge, settled on and recognized Eirene, who shook her head, so subtly it could be missed. Lacy looked back across the table, licking her dry lips.

"And what do you think?"

"I don't know. I just cannot know," whispered Marge.

"Well, time will heal wounds," Mrs. Juliana said.

"So you don't think they'll find them?"

"Who?"

"Honestly, I think your head grows looser every time I see you," laughed Marge. "The Summoner. Do you think they'll find them?"

"I don't think so. They're a person of myth and legend. How will they find a walking fairytale?" Marge's face fell with Mrs. Juliana's words.

"I suppose your right. Wishful thinking," said Marge. They fell into their own thoughts, and silence.

Eirene watched them, sipping her tea. The other two mugs now cold.

"It was wonderful talking to a friend, someone outside of the mansion," said Marge.

"Naturally. I hope they are treating you well in that castle," said Mrs. Juliana, her voice indicating if Marge wasn't treated to her standards, Mrs. Juliana would march to Lord Eldridge's door herself and give him a stern talking to.

"They are, they are," laughed Marge. They both began giggling and telling stories of their silly encounters through the day.

As the afternoon came and went, Eirene realized conversation of finding her had passed and would not arise again that day. She stood and nodded to Mrs. Juliana as thanks. She nodded back with a grateful smile, Eirene had saved her love after all.

Eirene left the bar, with far less attention than she received when entering. She stepped out onto the cobblestone street. Mist clung to the streetlights already lit under the sky, dark with storm clouds.

She hurried the shop of oddities hidden down one of the side streets. The aging sign swung squeakily in the chilled breeze. It's peeling gold letter spelling "Asphodel Trinkets".

Eirene knocked on the glass door, and entered the shop, a bell ringing as the door opened. A man her age, stepped out from behind a curtain leading to the back room. Half his blonde hair hung over his eyes, the other half tied back in a bun.

"Eirene Alisis, is that you? So long since you've entered my shop," he said, smiling.

"Zagreus Plato, it has been too long," she said. He came out from behind the counter, embracing Eirene and placing a gentle kiss on each of her cheeks.

"How may I help the walking legend herself?"

"I need a favor Zagreus," she said. "Please." Zagreus' lips curved into a sickening smile. An opportunity like this happened rarely, and for as he put it, a walking legend was even more rare. For every favor, there must be one in return. And from a Summoner, favors are valuable.