2. Secrets in the Mansion

The mansions sat on the forest edge, like shadows guarding the trees. Inside, maids and servants bustled about, preparing large baskets full of fine wines and thick blankets, all to give to the largest and grandest mansion of them all.

The Eldridge Mansion had black curtains drawn in every window, a black flag out front, and a doorstep laden with grieving baskets. As was customary after a death, the surrounding mansions and even a few townspeople laid baskets full of food and homemade goods to help the family through their grieving. Naturally, only the wealthy truly followed the tradition as they could afford to lose a loaf of bread and blanket.

Inside, the head maid scuffled to the kitchen, where chefs were mixing soups and making pastries to give back to their neighbors for their grieving baskets.

Once the maid closed the kitchen door, she leaned against it. Her eyes shut, as she took a a moment of silence to process the busy day.

First poor Lidia was found at the bottom of a cliff, then, naturally, the Lord of the house sent out his best Riders to search for the Summoner. All the helpers knew they wouldn't find the Summoner, but they knew they were out there, hiding. There were rumors from the East of lost souls being returned to bodies, men and women waking inside their graves.

The maid shook her head, clearing out the nasty thoughts.

"Miss Menuor, Miss Menour," squeaked the newest recruit to the mansion.

Miss Menour looked down at the meek, mouse-like girl.

"What, child?" She snapped. The girl flinched, but continued to stay, her questions were urgent.

"Miss, the Lord wants a rosemary loaf of bread for his mid-day tea, Miss," she said. Miss Menour rolled her eyes, of course he does, and he couldn't think to mention it on their Sunday meetings where they decided the menu for the week.

"Well, run a long and tell him, if he wants rosemary bread, it will be another hour," she said. The girl nodded and scurried out of the kitchen. The nearest baker groaned.

"You couldn't tell him no? Really, Marge?" He said, his bushy mustache bristling with every word. There was annoyance in his kind eyes, but he was only joking. They both knew they couldn't dare tell the Lord no, especially after the loss of his daughter.

At that moment, a young boy with tangled red hair burst into the kitchen, tear stains on his muddy face.

"Oh, Noah, what are you doing down here?" Miss Menour said, scooping him into her arms. The baker winked at the boy, making his glum face twitch into a smile for a second before sinking back into a frown. The baker turned back around, finishing piping a raspberry curd into pastries.

"Momma says Lidia is gone? Is it true?" He said, wiping his runny nose, with the corner of his sleeve.

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. She is, she went away," she said, setting the boy down on a stool. Over his shoulder, she snapped her fingers at the nearest baker. He shrugged behind the boys back. Miss Menour glared at him, and he understood. He quickly grabbed the nearest pastry, filled with chocolate and gave it to Miss Menour. She seemingly pulled it from behind the boys ear and placed sit in his outstretched hands.

He stared at it with wide eyes full of awe before biting into the flaky pastry with a hum of appreciation.

"Thank you!" He said with a full mouth, spitting crumbs.

"Noah, I've told you not to talk with your mouth full. Hasn't Professor Lillen taught you anything?" She scolded, while grabbing a cloth from the table to wipe his chin. Noah shook his head, making his curls bob and dance.

"I'll be telling your Mother he hasn't taught you ," Miss Menour muttered to herself.

"Please don't! He's the only friend I'll have until Lidia comes back," he begged. She stopped wiping his coat down, and looked at him. He finished the pastry with a last bite, and stood. "I'll be going now. I want to help look for Lidia now!"

"Wait, Noah, are others looking for her?" Miss Menour said, handing the coat back to the boy. He nodded enthusiastically.

"Yeah! Dad sent out the Riders to find a Slummer that will find Lidia. But if I find her first we won't need a Slummer!" The boy said proudly.

"Of course Noah, but don't you mean a Summoner," teased Miss Menour.

"Yeah! A Summoner, that's what Dad said. But Momma told me it was nonsense," he said. Miss Menour nodded along absentmindedly, he thoughts somewhere outside of the kitchen and Eldridge Mansion. "I have to go now, thank you Miss!" Noah turned and ran back out of the kitchen, leaving Miss Menour lost in her thoughts.

"Well he spins some wild tales doesn't he," chuckled the baker, coming up behind Miss Menour. She slapped his chest lightly.

"Oh hush, he's processing losing his sister."

"Not if he believes her to be alive and just away on a trip," he scoffed. "The way they raise their kids these days, never give 'em anything the way it is."

"Herbert, times are different. Now go prepare that rosemary loaf, I'm not in the mood to be yelled at. And tell Missy I'll be out for the rest of the day. Headache," she said, grabbing her blue, woolen cot from the row of hooks by the back door. Herbert looked at her, his eyebrows, just as bushy as his mustache, raised in skepticism.

"I need to process a few things, so I'll take a leaf out of Noah's book and set off," she said in explanation. Herbert shrugged before finishing piping the pastries.

Miss Menour left the kitchen and stepped out onto a small porch that held the daily delivery of food. She went to turn back to order someone to pick it up, but decided against it. She had to get some answers.

By the sound of it, according the Noah, the Lord had a strong hope of finding the Summoner, if they didn't tell Noah his sister was dead.

It wasn't out of kindness, for the Eldridge family was never known to have softened the blow of horrid news. Miss Menour rushes to her cabin at the edge of the grounds. She had to make a call with her dear friend, Mrs. Juliana.