21. Obstacles before the Ball

After another nap, and several cups of tea, Eirene felt like herself again, well as best she could when she hadn't been in her own body for centuries. Constantly switching bodies to hide her identity had taken a toll on her. She feared she may be forgetting what she looked like. But sitting in a castle, made her feel like herself even if it was only for one night.

The seamstress had worked, measuring and sewing while Eirene slept, so the dress was complete. Cadmus had stayed out of the room, but grumbled to the meek tailor all through his fitting.

As the castle's staff bustled around like ants, dusting away at the most hidden of places, shining the candlesticks, and setting out more fresh flowers, Eirene finished yet another cup of tea, and let a maid brush out her hair.

"Not enough time, so much to do," grumbled Ms. Lillian. Eirene turned to look at the woman who danced around the dress making final adjustments, making the maid behind her huff.

"Stop moving," she ordered. Eirene scowled, but remained still.

"How long did I sleep for?" She asked. Ms. Lillian turned away from the dozen pair of shoes she was comparing against the dress in an effort to find a pair that went perfectly.

"When you fainted on me, half an hour, maybe less. The second time, many hours," she said, then held up a heeled ankle boot and another heeled boot that reached to Eirene's thigh. "Which one?"

"The shorter one, no one will see the second in the dress," Eirene said, turning slightly to face Ms. Lillian.

"Stop moving," repeated the maid. Eirene turned back to front as Ms. Lillian cackled.

"Won't they?" She set down the boots, and turned the dress from so Eirene could see it from her chair. The fabric split into a high slit, a bold and controversial choice for a ball. Eirene glowered at the dress.

"I don't want attention on me," she grumbled. Ms. Lillian waved a hand.

"Nonsense, you're showing off your husband to the kingdom, and it won't matter anyway. You will be masked, not many will recognize you after the night," said Ms. Lillian. Eirene bit her lip, and her eyebrows furrowed. She was not fond of the idea of having such a memorable dress, and Cadmus on her arm was trouble enough. To have a dress that was more provocative than anything she had worn before, made butterflies soar in her stomach. She mentally chided herself. She would not, could not, get caught up in the thought of what Cadmus thought of her and how she dressed. But a little voice in the back of her head whispered, don't you? He is your mate after all. Eirene scowled, and spent the rest of the hour arguing with herself.

Maid after maid swept into her room, arranged and did something to Eirene, whether it was light makeup, hair, or accessories. After an hour, Eirene stood in front of the mirror again, staring at herself. Yet again, she did not recognize herself, but rather than it being not her body entirely, it was due to the sheer amount of work the maids had done. Her eyes had soft brown powder applied around them, blush on her pale cheeks. Her hair was done up in a bun filled with braids and flowers woven into the dark strands. The dress fit her like a glove. The collar was high and covered her neck, while the dress hugged her figure, with the high slit showing the tall, black, lace up boots. The sleeves hung to her waist, swaying as she walked.

After centuries, Eirene felt ever so slightly like herself, and in the mortal world was a welcome change. After searching for a place to belong, she began to wonder if she could live with Cadmus even if she wasn't in her true form. But for tonight, it would make it easier to play wife to Cadmus, who, at that moment knocked on the door before letting himself in. He wore a suit with  red accents, matching Eirene. He wore a black mask, making his blue eyes glow.

"Oh," squeaked Ms. Lillian, fumbling around the pile of fabrics and shoes that sat by the window, "here." She produced a mask that covered the top half of Eirene's face, black with red swirls and flowers engraved onto the material. The soft interior felt comfortable, as it was secured by Ms. Lillian. "My dear, you look magnificent." Ms. Lillian clapped her hands and bustled away past Cadmus. "As for you," she passed, looking him up and down, "I could do better. Next time." She left the room, leaving Eirene and Cadmus alone.

"Are you feeling better?' Cadmus asked. Eirene nodded stiffly, turning to look at him. He inhaled sharply, looking over her. His eyes darkened, as Eirene licked her lips, trying to prevent them from drying anymore. Butterflies soared in her chest, as her heart thudded so loud she feared he could hear it. "You look," he paused, "gorgeous." Eirene blushed and looked him over, ignoring her inner voice which had taken up the chant, kiss him, kiss him.

"You look adequate," she said, smiling. Cadmus laughed, and some of the tension dissipated, but the voice would not stop chanting. Eirene cleared her throat, and stepped down from the pedestal, but she immediately tripped on the long dress in her heeled boots and began to fall.

However, Cadmus rushed to her side, and caught her, pulling her tight against his chest. She looked up at his blue eyes, and tried to slow her heartbeat.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Anything, my wife," he said. Eirene hummed softly, before they faded into silence, Eirene's heart hammered against her ribs, while Cadmus breathed in the scent of rain and lavender.

"I, we, we should go. I would hate to be late to the King's ball, and steal crown in the same night," said Eirene, a stark reminder of why they were here. Cadmus cleared his throat and stepped away. Eirene's body immediately longed for his arms around her again.

"Of course, shall we?" Cadmus said, bowing and holding out his arm for Eirene to take. She held him, as they walked out of the room and towards the ballroom.

Eirene tried to refocus her mind on the task at hand, but all she seemed to focus on was the insistent voice chanting, kiss him, kiss him. And the fact Cadmus was so close, and any contact warmed her body.

Cadmus steeled himself for a long night of having to ignore how he responded to how near Eirene was, how good she smelled, and the fact she was finally showing affection with him.