31. Cerberus in the Cavern

Eirene woke, wrapped in a cloak that smelled of Cadmus, she breathed in the tender scent and rose, looking around the clearing. Cadmus was crouched over the dying embers of the fire, trying to light it again.

"Ignem veni," she whispered, making flame light under his fingertips. His head swung around to meet the joy-filled eyes of Eirene.

"Good morning, you know there are other methods to alert me you are awake then trying to burn my fingers," he laughed, walking over to her.

"But that wouldn't be any fun, besides you were struggling." She sat up, and ran a hand through her tangled hair, then began to braid it into a bun.

"Not that much, I would have gotten it," he grumbled, making Eirene giggle. His heart floated up and fluttered in his chest. He adored the sound of her laughter, as rare as it was. He cupped her cheek and brought his lips to hers, making her pulse flutter before pulling away with a smirk.

"You," she said breathily, trying to be intimidating, which did not work unless he was a wolf. Cadmus grinned, and scooped her up form the bundle of cloaks to sit by the now roaring fire. "Oh it looks lovely, who ever made this fire is very skilled," she laughed while Cadmus growled, making Eirene blush. She felt warmth tingle over her skin as her breath hitched.

"Well, maybe," he said begrudgingly. "Here's some more food, then we must set off." Eirene grumbled, but took the plate with breakfast, a slice of deer. She wanted to spend the morning walking around, talking with Cadmus. But the image of Makaria came to mind, fear filling her doe-like eyes. She couldn't waste anymore time on such selfish things as little kisses and calming mornings. She had a mission.

"You're right," she said, taking a bite. She quickly ate, packed, and stood at the edge of a tree-laden hill, sloping into a valley. Cadmus fastened his cloak over his broad shoulders and joined her, looking down the steep path. He looked over to her, only to catch her eyes already watching him.

"Now or never," he said, steeling himself.

"Remember, keep your cloak on at all times, do not eat anything, do not speak to any ghosts, and if we encounter a deity, look at their feet and bow." Eirene listed out the rules, her heart hammering, with anticipation or nerves, she did not know. The sweet scent of death filled her nose as she began to make her way between the trees to the valley. Cadmus followed behind her, albeit slightly clumsily for what one would expect from a wolf.

At the bottom of the hill was another clearing, lined with rocks covered in moss and purple runes carved into them. They were worn and aged, laying abandoned for years, possible centuries. In the center of the clearing, was a stump as tall as Cadmus, if not taller. On the side of the stump was a crack big enough for one to squeeze through is they sucked in their stomach and hugged their packs tight. Bits of melted candles, cracked crystals, and forgotten books lay scattered around the stump, an obvious indicator for a spell. Someone had tried to break into the Underworld and failed. Their skeleton was propped up on a nearby tree, the empty eye sockets staring ahead, straight at the crack.

"What do we do?" Whispered Cadmus, way out of his comfort zone. Eirene stepped forward, into the ring of stones.

"I open the door."

"The crack?" Eirene nodded.

"It's protected by a powerful curse, stay behind the stones as I open it," she said, holding up her hand quickly to stop him form taking a step to follow her. He stepped back.

"Of course."

She approached the broken spell ingredients and collected them, placing them in a neat pile next to the skeleton, right outside of the rock circle. Then, she turned to face the stump. The crack seemed to absorb all light, stretching from the ground to nearly six feet up. The smell of home wafted from the stump on a cold breeze, making goosebumps erupt on Eirene's arms. She tugged her cloak tighter around herself.

"Patéra, eímaa, edó. Epitréste mou na bo í na piésete to chéri mou se mia máchi pou tha kerdíso," she said. The words rolled off her tongue in her native language. They sounded smooth and calm like ripples in a mirror lake. To Cadmus's amazement the crack split further, making the stump shudder and groan. The scent of death grew stronger, making is nose wrinkle in disgust. "You can come forward." He stepped into the rock circle, the feeling of cold hands gripping his arms and leg overtook him, making him draw in a shaky breath.

"Is this it?"

Eirene glared at him.

"Yes, and you must get accustomed to the feeling of death breathing down your neck, you will not survive otherwise," she said. Her mood had soured with her native language, and the fact her father was now fully aware of where she was. "Come, I don't want to spend any longer than I must in the Underworld." It might become too comfortable.

She slid between the splintered edges of the crack and was immediately swallowed by darkness. Cadmus hurried to follow her, his heart pounding the moment she left his sight. When he wedged himself through the crack, darkness overtook all his senses. No light penetrated the cold, wet, air. His breath came out in clouds as he called out.

"Eirene? Eirene?"

"I'm here, quiet," she snapped, grabbing his arm tightly. Her nails dug into his flesh. "Follow my lead." She crept forward, pulling him behind her, weaving through rocks, and skulls. Very few made it this far and continue their journey. From ahead, a deep growling filled the cave. The ferocious sound boomed over the pair as Eirene led Cadmus forward. The growling grew louder as the moved closer, and finally the dark cave opened into a cavern filled with stalagmites and stalactites, which shook with every roar from the beast. Gems glittered form their hiding spots, covered in dark rock. Light shone from the ceiling without any clear source.

Cadmus' eyes slid over the cavern, staying on the roaring beast. Its three heads scraped the ceiling, while its paws created craters everywhere it stepped. Its fangs dripped with saliva, causing puddles on the ground. All six eyes narrowed at the sight of intruders, and it stepped forward, making the cavern shake and groan.

"Cerberus!" Yelled Eirene, letting Cadmus go, and running to the creature. It whined and its three heads lowered, recognizing her.

"No!" Shouted Cadmus, running after her, earning a growl from Cerberus. But rather than attack, the dog laid down and allowed Eirene to scratch behinds its ears.

"Hello, aren't you a good dog, yes you, and you, you too," she said to each head. Their pink tongues lolled out as its tail wagged, knocking several century old rock rotations into dust.

"What is this? Cerberus, the beast in my room in Eldridge Mansion?" Cadmus asked, running a hand through his hair, making it stand on end.

"Well not exactly, that was an extension of his soul, smaller, less ferocious. This is Cerberus' true form, guardian to the Underworld," Eirene explained, petting each head equally, for if one got too much attention the others would begin to fight for the privilege of being scratched.

"This is a monster, stay away from it," order Cadmus, earning a glower from Eirene. Cerberus growled at him, they did not appreciate being called a monster.

"They won't harm us, but Cerberus," she said, turning away from Cadmus, "we need to pass. Will you let us?" The heads nodded and the beast stood, stepping to the side. Cadmus quickly ran to Eirene and scooped her up, hurrying past Cerberus into another tunnel.

"Put me down," grumbled Eirene and Cadmus obliged. "There was no need to do that. I can walk, and Cerberus is no threat. I know the dangers here better than you. Follow. My. Lead." With her words, she turned away and began to make her way through the tunnel. Unlike the entrance, this one was filled with light from candles protruding form the walls. Unfortunately illuminating their holders, skeletal hands and skulls filled with red wax. The hand seemed to stretch forward to grab the travelers and pull them to their deaths in the stone to join them on the wall. The skulls grinned, the empty eyes following them as they hurried forward.