28. Beyond the Mirror

The morning after the ball was filled with urgency. Eirene and Cadmus awoke wrapped in each other's arms. They stared into the other's eyes, merely enjoying the morning sun and smell of fresh pastries drifting into their room. However, the bliss was cut short by a maid knocking, then entering their room. Eirene pushed Cadmus away and turned to snarl at the meek maid. She squeaked at the hatred glinting in Eirene's eyes.

"How may we help you?" Cadmus growled.

"I'm so sorry, but the King orders you to leave, the castle will be put on lockdown for- um- I can't say, but he doesn't want your honeymoon to be interrupted. You have half an hour," she mumbled, her hands messing with and twisting the fabric of her apron. Cadmus and Eirene immediately looked at each other, both knowing what a lockdown meant. The King knew his crown had been stolen.

"Of course, thank you. We will begin to pack right away," Cadmus said, falling into a kind voice to hide the panic underneath. Eirene drew in a steady breath as the maid bowed out of the room, closing the door with a click. "For the love of all that is good and pure-" Cadmus began grumpily, but Eirene scoffed.

"No gods will help us, we stole from the King. Hurry and pack, I need to arrange something for our trip to the Underworld. It will not be as easy as this," Eirene said. She slid out of bed, grabbed her bag, and locked herself in the bathroom. Cadmus growled low in his throat and began to organize the clothes given by the King into his pack.

"One night, may I have one night?" He said to no one. Eirene rolled her eyes and set down her bag.

She stared at herself in the mirror, thoughts racing through her mind. She didn't know if she was ready to meet her father again. Not after her vision, he knew she was coming, but not when, perhaps time was on her side. She shook her head and focused upon the mirror. Her fingertips traced a sigil onto the mirror and she whispered words in her ancient tongue under her breath. The mirror began to glow and smoke furled from its corners. The surface shimmered and began to morph to show a library. Books were stacked on tables, chairs, and stuffed clumsily onto shelves. Makaria sat surrounded by their weathered pages and spines. Several books were flipped open on her lap with scribbles filling them.

"Makaria. Makaria," Eirene whisper-yelled through the mirror. She looked up from a blood red book to stare around the room, her eyes glanced over the mirror twice before she gasped and threw the book down, rushing to the mirror.

"Melinoe, oh my, its you. Thank goodness, listen-"

"I know, I know. Father expects me, but I have to come. My freedom in the mortal realm is at stake," Eirene interrupted.

"No, not that, Melinoe, listen to me, Father is using me as a barging chip. He plans to send Thanatos after me if I don't comply-"

Eirene cursed under her breath. The God of Death was not known for being gentle or kind, even to the daughters of Hades.

"But Zagreus, he also has a plan. I am to help you find the ruby, and then help you leave, but I, I'm sorry," Makaria's sentence trailed off into a pitiful silence.

"You don't want to face Thanatos, with reason," Eirene said, trying to help her sister's guilt. "I understand. Then I need to face Father." There was finality in her tone, and Makaria knew she couldn't argue with Melinoe once her mind was made up.

"Then how do we get you out if Father doesn't intend on letting you go?" Makaria said biting the inside of her cheek.

"I'm coming with a wolf, and I'm speaking to Selene. She can give him powers so we can fight our way out if Hades doesn't let me go."

"Okay, okay," Makaria said, trying to settle her nerves. "I can take you through the back."

"Or Cerberus likes me, we can go the front way," Eirene said. Before Eirene could say another word, Makaria quickly looked over her shoulder, fear clouding her eyes.

"He's coming, I have to go. I will find a way, I promise." The mirror began to glow once more, shimmering and morphing so Eirene was once again looking at herself. She inhaled sharply, and rested her forehead against the cool glass. She wished she could have a better grasp of a plan to make it out of the Underworld. She sighed, letting her breath fog up the mirror's glass. After a moment too calm her nerves, Eirene began to get ready for Cadmus and her journey to the Underworld.

Leaving the bathroom, she saw a series of maids, scurrying around the room, dusting and cleaning. Cadmus was moving around the room, barley missing the maids. Upon seeing her, he smiled and winked, quickly stuffing a letter into his pocket. Her heart fluttered in her chest. He walked over to her, narrowly avoiding the smallest maid, and scooped her into a hug then let her go. He went into the bathroom to prepare for their day of travel.

After a quick breakfast Eirene and Cadmus stood on the steps waving farewell to the King.

"Please do visit again," he said, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"We will your Majesty," assured Cadmus. The King smiled and clapped.

"How wondrous, I am sorry for the disturbance this morning, my crown, well," the King began, looking around for listening ears and loose tongues, when he saw no one was near enough to hear, "someone stole my crown last night. I had it placed in protection, and we are positive it was locked up. By the morning, gone, poof." He fluffed his hands in a mock explosion.

"Our condolences," said Eirene, tugging Cadmus' cloak slightly.

"Ah well, I'm sure we will find it by the day's end. But what am I doing? I should let you go, farewell. I do hope your stay was enjoyable?"

"It was your Majesty," assured a smiling Cadmus. The couple waved and turned to leave the grounds. Eirene's heart hammered in her chest, and she was sure it would pound out of her chest and across the cobblestone if not for the cage of bone. They walked at a brisk pace, eager to get as far from the King as possible by nightfall.

They passed the gates and waved goodbye to the guards. They hurried across the town and into the woods leading towards a tall mountain, their hands in a tight embrace. As soon as they passed under the trees' shade, they burst into laughter. They had done it, truly stolen the King's crown.

"We did it," said Eirene, looking at Cadmus.

"No you did," said Cadmus, staring back at her. They gazed at each other, breathing in the smell of each other. Then, Cadmus pulled Eirene close, pressing his lips to hers.