9. Returning to the Office

Cadmus retreated to the corner, where he let the shadows fall over him and hide his large figure, watching Eirene. She walked to where Lidia's head was covered. She folded back the sheet to her shoulders. Her face was frozen in peaceful sleep, a spell had been placed over her to preserve her body until the Summoner was found, but the magic was weak, most likely wouldn't last more than a month. 

Upon seeing her eyes shut, with her delicate eyelashes sweeping her under eye, Eirene felt coldness blossom in her heart. It grew over her body, and she knew she couldn't let the innocent soul of Lidia Eldridge lay with her father in the Underworld. However, with Cadmus in the corner, she risked her freedom.

If she were enslaved in the wicked mansion, Makaria was just as trapped as Lidia. However, Eirene's soul grew with her magic. Around Cadmus, her magic knew less bounds than it did when she was learning. Her soul strived to please her mate, as silly as it was.

Her gaze left Lidia to find Cadmus's icy eyes. She bit her lip with indecision, before looking between the doll-like face of Lidia and the beast. When he had touched her, they both knew. How could they not? Two magical creatures of such power as a goddess and beast,  knew the moment they made contact. Their positions in their current life prevented them from discussing the matter further.

Eirene looked back to Cadmus. He lifted an eyebrow, as if to ask her to hurry up.

"Sir Markson, I," she paused, the Book of Shadows spell floating with a quickly forming plan in her mind. "I, fear I lied to you. I am a witch, and I may help her soul return to this world, but I need three spell ingredients." Cadmus' eyes widened with her apparent candor.

"Naturally, what may they be, so I may fetch them," he said. Eirene raked her mind to remember the obscure items of lands far away.

"Ruby from Hades' caves, gold from the King's crown, and blood from the dead," she said. Cadmus nodded.

"As you wish, but if I were to fetch these items, I want you to accompany me. A witch and, as you so kindly put it, a beast, would be able to accomplish your near impossible tasks," he said smiling. "But I need reassurance of your honesty. How do I know if this is a wild goose chase?"

Eirene simply smiled, he believed her lie. 

"You don't. But this is where you must trust me." Cadmus growled, low in his throat, making Eirene's stomach tighten and mouth go dry. She cursed under her breath, but it was not missed by Cadmus who smirked.

"Very well, it is not I you must convince, but Lord Eldridge. Come," he said. He led the way out the vigil room. Eirene followed and both were met with the hopeful eyes of Lady Eldridge. A handkerchief was clutched under her red nose.

"Please, tell me, my daughter-" she whispered. Her voice was hoarse from the silence of the vigil and thick with tears.

"Will be well soon, we will find and gather three tools for a spell to help her return to us," said Cadmus kindly. Lady Eldridge's eyes shone brighter.

"You can do it? You can help my dear baby?"

"Yes, Lady Eldridge. We can, and I will. I promise you," Eirene said sweetly.

"Oh thank you, thank you," Lady Eldridge sniffled, and pulled Eirene into a tight hug. She melted into the warm embrace of a mother, not having been held like a child since she was one.

"You are welcome, I thank you for your faith in me," she whispered into Lady Eldridge's ear, who sniffled and let go of her, clutching her handkerchief to her nose again.

"I will be returning to my daughter, awaiting your return. You are too kind, and I will tell my husband of this wonderful news. Please stay here with us, Cadmus will lead you to a guest room, oh my. Cadmus, are they full?" He nodded. "Well, my dear I don't know where to put you. It's too late for you to return home, you must stay with us. Cadmus, find her an acceptable place to sleep. My husband will send you off in the morning," blubbered Lady Eldridge, her grief morphing into growing excitement.

Cadmus smiled to Eirene.

"I shall, my Lady. I must inform Lord Eldridge of our plans tonight I'm afraid, but then we shall find rest. When we return, we will bring your daughter back to us," Cadmus reassured her. Lady Eldridge smiled, thanking them many more times as she retreated back to her corner watching over her daughter, a sad smile on her face.

Cadmus led the way back down the stairs.

"Do I have anything more than your trust, to ensure Lidia's soul in our world?" Asked Cadmus.

"I'm afraid not," she said. "But you have my word. I do not lie to you."

"Except in the office."

"Except then, but you must understand, my freedom is at stake."

"I do understand," Cadmus said quietly, while his mind wandered to the past. He knew how valuable freedoms as, and to a witch or wolf, freedom was priceless. 

"I will bring her soul back, but only if I may return to my life. I've heard the stories of Summoners, and I will not be made to work under the wealthy."

They reached the bottom of the stairs and turned back down the corridor of portraits and statues, their empty eyes watching as they passed.

"I will not let that happen to you. I am the Commander of the Lord's Riders. I will bargain for your freedom, do not fear," he said. Eirene felt the smallest part of weight lift off her chest.

"Thank you."

They stopped at the doors of the office. Eirene felt Cadmus' eyes look over at her. She did not look back at him, but steeled herself to bargain for her life.

"Come in," boomed a voice from behind the door. They entered, Cadmus behind Eirene. The door closed behind them, leaving them with Lord Eldridge, seated behind the large desk and smoking a large cigar. The blue smoke rising into the air in loops and swirls.

"Who is this?" Lord Eldridge barked.

"The Summoner, my Lord." His eyes lit up and he stuffed the cigar out.

"It can't be," he whispered. "Prove it."

"I cannot sir, but will give your daughter life again. I need three ingredients to make the spell, then I will. I promise you, just as I promised your wife."

Lord Eldridge's face turned blue, then red.

"You saw her! You dared disturb her vigil?" He thundered.

"My Lord, we went to examine your daughter, to ensure her life can be brought to this world. I will accompany the Summoner to find the ingredients. She will not leave my sight," Cadmus said.

"Very well, Sir Markson. I trust you with the sole responsibility of following the Summoner through the lands. Find the ingredients, return, and give me my daughter back. You are dismissed." Lord Eldridge opened a drawer in his desk and pulled out another cigar. Blue spirals were wound around the cigar, and as he lit it, blue sparks flew onto the desk where they sizzled out. Cadmus nodded to him and turned to leave the office.

"Thank you, my Lord," said Eirene before joining Cadmus outside the office, closing the door on a smoking Lord Eldridge, the blue smoke winding around his ears and up his nose.