Chapter 8- Headed Back Home

"Ryleigh Edwards,
I know all about you and Hunter. I know the two of you talked about and agreed to find a way to get out of the threats I've made against him. As you will have already found out, the venue has set a condition in front of you. Either Hunter doesn't do the show tonight or you quit your job as his tour manager. I know you'd never want him to have to give up his dream, after all, you are his best friend.
Give up, Ryleigh. You'll never win. I'm not done with him. And I never give up.
LB"

I couldn't believe what I was reading. So, I picked up my phone and right away dialed Hunter's number. As soon as he answered, I said,
"You have to get over to my bus now. Something's come up, but I have to tell you in person." I hung up before he could say anything.

10 minutes later I heard a knock on the bus door. I opened it, Hunter came in and burst out with,
"What's going on, Ryles? What happened that you couldn't tell me on the phone? What if Libby saw me coming to your bus?"
"It doesn't matter anymore what she saw." And I handed him the letter.

As soon as he finished and set it down, he said,
"I can't believe it. How could she do that? Why would she? What does she want from me?"

"Hunter, it's obvious. She's not in it cause she loves you. We already knew that. It's a game to her. She's in it for the riches and fame. And however she found out about us, she sees me as a threat to her game. I'm the best friend who's known you for years and is in love with you. If you were to choose me over her, she would lose her link to the celebrity world."

"So, if she knows, Ry, what are we going to do?"
"I don't know. I don't know what we can do. She's basically said that if I don't leave, she'll threaten the venues into dropping your concerts."

"You can't leave, Ryles. I won't let you. I love you, I'll break up with her and take the consequences before I'll let you leave."
"I can't let you do that. She's right in the letter. I'm your best friend, I won't let you give up your dream for me."

"Are you breaking up with me?"
"No, I'm not. I love you too, but I do have to leave. At least long enough for the ice queen to think she's won. I'll go back home to Louisiana for now. And I'll figure out what to do."

"But we can still keep in touch, right?"
"Absolutely, Libby's not the only one who doesn't give up."
"I'll call as often as I can. And I'll come home, of course telling her that I'm visiting my parents."

Right away I began packing my things up to head home. As soon as I had everything packed up, I loaded it all into my silver Mustang. By the time Hunter was getting set to go on stage, I was ready to leave. But before I started my drive home, I slid into the back of the venue. Just to watch part of the show I'd spent so much time helping to create for so long. I could see Libby sitting just backstage making sure I didn't appear. Of course, she wouldn't be expecting to see me at the back of a crowd of screaming girls. At about the halfway point of the show, I slid out as quietly as I'd slid in.
20 minutes later, I was on the road out of Nashville headed home to Breaux Bridge, Louisana.

Over all it would take me about 10 hours to get home.

About 2 hours into my drive, after I'd gotten back on the road after a quick bathroom and snack break, my phone rang. I answered with my bluetooth, saying,
"Hello, Lynette?"
"Hello, sweetie, Hunter called and told us everything. He said you were coming home. Are you on the road now?"
"Yeah, I'm about 2 hours into the 10 hour drive. I'll probably stop halfway in to take a quick nap before continuing."

"Ok, Ryleigh. When you get here, come straight to our house."
"Oh, I couldn't do that."
"Yes, you can. And in case you're wondering, Hunter insisted."
"Alright, I'll argue that later with him then."
Finally, by 7:30 the next morning, I crossed the outskirts of my own tiny hometown.

A/N: So, she's headed home.... Time jump coming in the next chapter...
Much more drama still to come....