Chapter 28- Losing Her?

3 weeks after the wedding, I rolled over in bed one morning. As soon as I shifted onto my growing belly, I felt a sharp pain. I sat up quickly, grabbing my belly. Suddenly, I was worried. I knew it was too early for me to be feeling kicks, and way too early for me to be going into labor. I called my mother-in-law and asked her if she could watch her granddaughter. I dropped Emmy off with her, and drove myself to the hospital.

As I walked up to the emergency room front desk, I felt another even sharper pain in my belly. I let a shriek that got the attention of a nurse behind the desk. I glanced at her name tag as she rushed over to me. Sarah asked me,
"What's wrong?"

"I don't know. But I need someone to check on my baby. I don't know if something's wrong or not, but I was told that this was a high risk pregnancy."
"Ok, just give me a couple minutes and I'll bring you back to run some tests."

Narrator's POV:

10 minutes later, Ryleigh collapsed and drew the attention of everyone in the emergency room. 5 nurses immediately came running with a mobile bed. And she was lifted up and rolled into the closest available emergency room suite. Several doctors came in to figure out what was wrong.

Since she had been the first to notice her, Sarah was the nurse in charge of Ryleigh. One of the assistant nurses, Kaitlyn, had picked up her phone to find out who to call when she said to Sarah,
"Do you recognize this young lady?"

Sarah was still bustling about, but stopped long enough to look at her and respond,
"No, why? Should I?"
"You're a fan of country music, right?"
"Yeah, but what does that have to do with her?"

"Because she's married to a country musician. Haven't I caught you humming 'Wanted'? The most romantic song out there. I'm a fan of his too, and from what I've heard, she's the inspiration for it."

"Really? She's married to THE Hunter Hayes? Well, someone needs to call him. If he really wrote that song for her, I'm sure he'd want to be here."

Kaitlyn looked through the contacts on the phone until she came to the one that said, 'Hunter'. She clicked on it and heard 4 rings until it went to voicemail. She left a short voicemail, saying her name, where she worked and that he should call back to this number and she would explain everything. Between her and Sarah, one of them was always on duty. And whoever was, carried Ryleigh's phone around with them until 5 hours after her message. Sarah pulled the phone out of her pocket and pushed answer.

"Hello? This is Sarah. And this is...?"

"I'm Hunter. But then you knew that, since you called me. Now it's my turn to ask you a question, why do you have my wife's phone?"
"She drove herself here to the hospital, but she collapsed just before we were able to take her back into a private room to check on her."
"Collapsed!? Is she alright? What happened?"

Sarah could hear the panic creeping into his voice, so, she kept her voice calm and said,
"First, take a deep breath. We don't know exactly know what happened to her, but as her head nurse, I suspect it has something to do with her pregnancy. Especially after she told me that it's a high risk one. Lastly, I think you should come down here as soon as possible."
"Absolutely, I'm headed there as soon as I pack up my things. I'll be there as fast as I can drive."

Hunter's POV:

As I hung up the phone, I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I made myself take a few deep breathes and began talking to myself, "It's going to be alright. She's strong. Whatever's wrong, she'll pull through." I flew around the bus, grabbing up a couple shirts and an extra pair of jeans and shoved them into a backpack. I grabbed my car keys, and as I was walking past Matt, he grabbed my arm, stopping me in mid stride and asking,

"Hunter, what's wrong? What's the rush?"
"I don't know exactly. Something about Ryleigh. A nurse from the Nashville hospital called from Ry's phone to tell me I should go back. That's where I'm going now."

A/N: Is something bad happening to Ryleigh or the baby? Or both? And will Hunter get back to Nashville in time?