Chapter 24- Visiting Family

6 months later:

My almost 2 year old daughter and I are driving home to Louisiana to visit family. Hunter's parents had moved back home a few months ago to be with his grandparents. Mostly his dad's mom who hasn't been well recently. And Emmy and I are planning to surprise Hunter at his last stop on his latest tour, in our hometown of Lafayette. That's right, he's playing the Cajundome in 4 days and we're coming in early to spend time with Emmy's grandparents and great-grandparents.

"Momma?"
"Yes, Emmy?" I glanced back at her in the rearview mirror.
"When are we gonna see Dada again?"

"Well, we're going to see him sing on stage in 4 days. But first we get to see your Grammy and Grampa."
"Really? We do?" Her eyes lit up. Those big, bright blue eyes that she got from her daddy. I pulled out my Iphone, put on a playlist of Hunter's songs and kept glancing back at her in between steering down the lonely highway through the outskirts of Lafayette, watching her sing the songs quietly to herself.

3 hours and 2 bathroom breaks later, we were pulling onto a very familiar street in Breaux Bridge. As soon as we pulled into the Hayes' family's driveway, I got down out of the Range Rover and opened the back door, lifting Emmy out of the backseat. I set her on her feet and handed her her backpack, grabbing mine as well before taking her hand and walking for the front door. Only a couple minutes after Emmy knocked on the door, Lynette opened it, saying,

"Ryleigh! Emmy! You're here!" While saying this, she scooped the almost 2 year old up and stepping back to let me walk in the house, "Why don't I watch Emmy while you take your luggage and settle into Hunter's redesigned room?"

I agreed and walked up the stairs that I'd walked up so many times as a young girl coming down the street to visit my best friend. I began hanging my clothes in the closet and placing Emmy's in the dresser. After I finished unpacking, I curled up on the bed to take a quick nap. I relaxed quickly since the pillow I rested my head on still smelled like Hunter.

40 minutes later, I woke up to find Emmy standing beside the bed. I rolled onto my side to look straight at her and said,
"What is it, sweetie?"
"Grammy wanted me to tell you that dinner's ready."

I stood up, lifted my daughter onto my hip, and said,
"Alrighty, let's go eat then."
I carried her down to the dining room where I set Emmy down in her booster seat and called into the kitchen,
"Lynette, do you need any help out there?"
"No, Ryleigh, I'm almost done anymore. Go right ahead and sit down."

A/N: Sweet moment filler chapter... Pic below is 2 year old Emmy...

 Pic below is 2 year old Emmy