Chapter 35- Tour and a surprise!

6 months later, as soon as we had gotten home, Hunter and his band began planning for a new tour. He's been out for the past month, and now that Easton is more than a couple months old, we are going to be joining that tour.

"Emmy?" I called to my now almost 4 year old daughter from my room.
"Yes, Momma?" She skipped up the stairs and into the room.
"Are you all ready to leave? I just have to get your brother dressed and then we can pack the car."
"I'm ready. Where is Daddy playing tonight?"

"He'll be just finishing a show in Nashville when we get there." As we talked, I lifted my son out of his crib and began changing his diaper and put him in a new 'Momma's Little Man' onesie and knit pants. I had packed up all our clothes and necessities the night before. So, about five minutes later, Emmy came back carrying one bag with her 'Frozen' backpack on her shoulders.

"Are you all ready to go?" I asked her as I picked her brother up, settling him on my hip. She couldn't say anything, but her eyes got wide and she nodded her head. We carried our bags out, locked the front door, and put everything in the Range Rover. Emmy climbed up and buckled herself in, while I strapped Easton into his car seat. I handed him his blanket and stuffed bunny.
"Momma, can we put on Dada's new song?" Emmy asked.

"Sure," I pulled out my phone, connected it by bluetooth and started the song she wanted. Once it was over, it just started to shuffle all the music on my phone. 30 minutes into our drive, Easton was sound asleep, his little fist clutching his bunny. An hour after her brother, Emmy was also asleep. As soon as I pulled up and parked beside Hunter's tour bus out behind the Ryman Auditorium, Emmy sat straight up.
"Are we there, Momma?"
"Yeah, do you see the bus out your window? Don't get out yet. I'll come around and open your door. Let me get your sleeping brother first."

Getting out of the SUV, I opened the door behind the driver's seat and lifted my sleeping son out of his seat with his bunny since I wasn't going to be able to pry it out of his little fingers. I adjusted him against my shoulder and moved to the other side to let Emmy out of the car. As soon as I opened her door, she jumped down, her 'Frozen' backpack on her shoulders again. Her favorite 'Elsa' doll clutched under her arm. Leaving our other bags in the car, we walked over to bus door. As soon as I opened it, Emmy ran in, calling,
"Daddy? Are you in here?"

"Em? He's probably back in the back lounge." Steve, Hunter's drummer, must have heard me talking to her, because he said,
"Your mom's right, Emmy. He's back there," He pointed back toward the room at the back of bus where Hunter would get lost, writing lyrics, playing his guitar and doing just about anything. As I watched her run back there, my phone began to ring. I fumbled for it, trying to dig it out of my purse while holding my son. After 5 rings, I finally answered,
"Mom? What's up?"

"Can you come see us in the hospital? You know your dad came here to Nashville to see a new doctor. Anyway, we need to talk to you."
"What's this about?"
"It's not something I can tell you over the phone. Oh, and can you come alone?"
"Sure, let me just make sure Hunter will be ok to watch your grandchildren tonight, and I'll be right over."

I followed my daughter to the back of the bus still holding little Easton, except now I'm in a daze. I stood there, staring into space, clutching onto my son, until I heard,
"Ryles? What's wrong?" I must have looked like I was going to fall down, because all of a sudden Hunter was standing in front of me. He gently lifted our son into his own arm to make sure I wouldn't drop him. He also linked his other arm with mine to help me over to the couch.

"I'm fine, Hunt. I really am. Just surprised. My mom wants me to come to the hospital tonight. She wouldn't tell me why, but she wants to see me. Said she and my dad have something to tell me."
"Well, I'm coming with you then. We'll drop Emmy and Easton off with my parents."

"I don't know. She said she wanted me to come alone."
"Ry, you're my best friend and my wife. I'm not letting you go alone. And besides, my mom will be so excited to spoil her little grand babies."
"Alright, come with me. We'll go together."