Commander

(Two Years Later) 3rd pov
The school day finally ended and the disguised anbu children rushed right out like usual. Instead of going home they all decided to drop by the anbu base since they usually go there after school to recover from the boredom. Neji, Natsu and Shino waited until nobody was around to shunshine into the basement of the anbu base.

They saw Naruto and Shika there already since Shikamaru skips sometimes with Naruto or they use clones to get out of being there. All of them do this from time to time just to get away from being in the academy so it was normal.

A few seconds after they got there the tattoos started irritating everyone more than usual which means the commander wanted to see all of them. Everyone shunshined from what they were doing into the meeting place, bowing before their commander, Tatsuya. The Hokage was with them as well.

"The reason I called you all in here is because of some important news for everyone. I'm retiring from the anbu." He says calmly earning silent surprised looks from everyone.

"This is where the Hokage will come in and speak about the new one." Tatsuya says as he bows to the Hokage and walks out.

"You may all stand." He kindly commanded as they did what he said. "Now since Tatsuya retired I've already picked who'll be the next commander." He said with a smile eyeing the entire room, making everyone wonder who the next one will be.

"The next person to be the next commander will be....Naruto Uzumaki!" He exclaimed making the room full of people blankly stare at the man. The four other anbu children and Kakashi quickly turn their head to Naruto.

"Wait what?! Me??" Naruto says with great shock, more shock than anyone in there.

"Yes you Naruto. You may be one of the youngest anbu's here, but you are also one of the strongest." The Hokage claims while hesitant nods came from the other anbu. "Why not Kakashi, he's strong too." Naruto says, still not seeing how he could be a commander.

"I've thought about that but he wouldn't do the paperwork and has very bad tardiness. I also figured he'd turn this down even if I suggested him." The Third said looking at the Dog who sweat dropped and rubbed the back of his head nervously.

"It's been decided Kitsune, you're the new commander." He says in a nice but commanding tone. "Hai Hokage-sama." The kid sighed under his breath. He walked up near the Hokage and faced the rest of the anbu. They all gave him a bow, signifying his new power above them.

He acknowledged this and waved his hand up to them, making them return to their normal stance. "Does this mean I'm not on my team anymore?" Naruto asked curiously looking at the Hokage.

"No you can still be on your team and go on missions with them. I sense you might want to keep things as normal as possible so Dog and still continue being the captain." He explained earning an "okay" from the boy.

"Also going off on what he said, I want things to still be as normal as possible, even if I am the commander so I'll still treat all of you the same way as I always do. Also, commander seems way too formal so you can continue calling me by anbu or actual name." Naruto said to everyone as they all nodded.

"That is everything I needed to say to everyone. You all are dismissed except for Squirrel, Bull and Kakashi's team." The Hokage declared as the anbu all bowed and shunshined away, leaving those eight behind.

"The reason I had you guys stay is because I have a mission for all of you and you may not like it, especially Kakashi's team."

"Whatever it is Lord Hokage, we can most likely handle it." Tenzo spoke up as they all agreed with him.

"If you say so. Dog, Bull, and Squirrel you guys are hereby now elites." The Hokage said as the three older men flinched to what they heard. Naruto had to hold back laughter for Kakashi's reaction.

"Well you guys aren't actually becoming elites but you're going undercover as that. If you want to leave and really become elites that's also fine." He explained.

(Just an fyi elites are different from regular jonin. Elites are people who've been in anbu before. They have a red stripe on their headbands to identify the difference and they still can take orders from their commander if need be.)

"May I be so bold as to ask why, My Lord." Asuma asked in a bit of confusion.

"I've gotten rumors of powerful rogue people becoming more active. The new generation will be graduating in two years and we need more powerful people the become their jonin leader so when they go on missions, they'll have more experienced ninjas protecting them." The Hokage further explained.

The three older anbu nodded until Shikamaru spoke up.

"May I ask as to how this has anything to do with the five of us." He said as the Hokage gave them a small smile.

"That's the next part about this. Since we have to protect this generation from any danger as much as possible, to be safe, I'm extending your mission of watching over your class until the chunin exam ends." Lord Third says.

The five just stood there, replaying what he just said to them. They all became shocked with horror. Naruto collapsed to the ground and started whining. "B-but whyyy" Naruto says.

This was really a sight to see for the people in the room. Their new anbu commander, probably the most powerful anbu they have is throwing a fit on the floor. The Hokage found this funny as everyone else sweat dropped.

"Because the added protection on each team will ensure no problems. You can't reveal who you are to your team but you can subtly help in case of any great danger." He explains as Naruto stood up and stopped whining, but still wasn't happy about this.

"I've already put you eight into your teams. Naruto will be with Kakashi, Shikamaru with Asuma, Natsumi with Tenzo, Shino with Kuranei, and Neji with Might Guy. Shino and Neji you have to be extra careful since your jonin leaders don't know your real identities. You can look into them both if you want just don't reveal yourself to them. You're all dismissed if no further questions." The Hokage said as they all bowed and left.

Naruto's team shunshined downstairs to the relaxing area. "Damn I can't believe we have to stay until they become chunin." Naruto states as they all agreed with a little groan.

"True but you guys are trained and disciplined. Jonin leaders have to train the others and make sure they can handle missions." Kakashi brought up. He wasn't looking forward to training brats with no skills.

The six didn't notice but the other anbu in the room were watching them, especially Naruto.
Some were a bit tense since their new anbu commander were with them. Their last one didn't interact with them unless he needed something so this felt different to them.

After twenty minutes the sound of arguing coming from Naruto, Anko, and Shikaku who were all playing a card game. The older two were yelling at the kid for beating them in a game. All he did was smile and tease them right back until Shika said something to make him sweat drop. This scene had all of the anbu relax for knowing it was the same old Naruto.