Chapter 12

Elfreda walked through the halls of Rivendell, trying to find peace of mind. She had walked away from the hug amounts of noise radiating from the hall where the dwarves where attempting to eat lettuce. Elfreda laughed to herself. They were shouting and singing, obviously drunk and trying to block out the classical music of the elves. "Good luck with that one" she said to herself.

She left the building to find her tree again. Instead of climbing it, Elfreda sat at the bottom, kicking off her thin shoes and letting the grass tickle her toes. The view was amazing, a valley of extreme beauty and tranquility. Elfreda belonged to the natural world.

The sky grew dark and the small lights of the stars began to shine. Looking up at them, the constellations were all vivid tonight. Elfreda could see Aries the ram and Aquarius the water bearer. The stars always told new stories, no matter where she looked. Breathing in the cold air, shivers ran down her spine.

High above Elfreda was a great overhang one of the many waterfalls flowing gushing over the top. From the hanging point, Elfreda could hear the voice of Elrond, Gandalf, Thorin, Balin and Bilbo. Elfreda knew Gandalf would tell her later but curiosity took the better of her. Elfreda was an excellent climber and she scaled the wall with ease. She was utterly concealed by the darkness in her dark blue dress.

The small group stood around a large crystal table. Bilbo stood close to Gandalf, he was unsure why he was there. Thorin and Balin watched over Elrond as he placed the map onto the table.

"These runes were written on a mid summers eve by the light of the crescent moon, nearly 200 years ago," clarified Elrond. From behind a rock behind the large crystal, Elfreda sat listening to every word, that Elrond said. He was talking about moon runes on the map; she could remember when they were written. The same moon was shining like a beacon this very night, Elfreda chuckled as Elrond called it 'fate'.

Bilbo glanced around, as a beam of light radiated through the soft water. The light hit the crystal, beams flying everywhere. The map started to glow, silver words became visible on the tanned parchment. Thorin watched intently, looking down at the paper with wide eyes.

"Stand by the grey stone, when the thrush knocks, with the setting sun on the last light of Durin's Day, will shine up on the key hole," the elf read. Elfreda sat up straight, summer was passing faster with each day- Durin's day would soon be upon them. Thorin looked worried but with Balin's calm, assured voice he said,

"We have to be standing in the exact spot at the exact time, then and only then can the door be opened" Elfreda put her hand to her mouth, he had given it away. Elrond looked at them with concern and anger in his eyes.
"So this is your mission, to enter the mountain, there are some who would not deem it wise," the elf lord consulted. Thorin looked up at the elf with displeasure. He held out his hand for the map which Elrond gave over. Thorin, Balin and Bilbo left, waking down the stone steps with only mutters coming from the two dwarves.

Once their voices had disappeared, Elrond looked at Gandalf. He was not happy with the wizard.
"You are not the only one to stand guard over Middle Earth!" Elrond huffed. Gandalf did not say anything but continued to look deeply in thought. Elrond knew that he was not going to get anything from Gandalf so he turned to leave the same way the dwarves and Bilbo had.

Before Elrond could leave, Elfreda hopped out of her hiding place and stood, with her arms crossed, in the door frame. She raise her eyebrows and pulled a slick smile.

This was when Elrond knew why she was here. He had not put two and two together and now he understood why Elfreda had come out of her hiding and was as deep in the quest as Gandalf was.
"What we are doing is right, my lord" she assured. Elrond did not say anything but just look at her with glassy eyes. Elfreda knew he had had enough so bowed her head and moved out of his way.

Gandalf looked out through the water, his mind in thought. Elfreda walked up behind him, following his gaze through the soft waterfall.
"You were listening all that time?" the wizard questioned. Elfreda grinned.
"Yes" she replied with assurance. Gandalf turned to look at her. He placed his hand on her shoulder.
"For that I am great full," he breathed. Then Gandalf also left, his grey robes flowing out behind him.

Elfreda was alone again. She breathed a long whistle. This gathering had not according to plan. The elves had by given their blessing and Thorin was in even more of a huff than before. She turned to the crystal table and drummed her fingers along the surface. It made a low booming sound and she made a low rhythmic beat.

She stopped as she heard soft footsteps climbing the stair. Once again Lindir appeared. She smiled as Lindir bowed.
"Mellon, the Lady Galadreil requests you at the meeting of the White Council," he noted.