Chapter 3

The Company of Dwarves sat at the newly cleaned table, arguing and shouting. Thorin, their leader, had, had enough. He stood up and shouted something at them in the their language. Like soldiers told to be a rest, they instantly sat down and beheld their leader with respectful and forgiving eyes. Bilbo was rather taken aback- if only he knew that earlier.
"If we have read these signs, do you not think other will have read them too?" he projected. Around him, everyone started to bicker among themselves.
Elfreda listened intently, here was one she could trust, here was a dwarf that she could proudly call king.
From that moment on her mind forgot the company but focused on rather drunk hobbits waddling home from their night down at The Green Dragon. She giggled as they fell over the tiniest of rocks or even air.
Suddenly, a shout came from Bag End.
"Or we seize this chance to take back Erebor!" Thorin shouted. Erebor? Elfreda almost jumped up with shock! That was where they were heading, to the mountain where the last dragon of Middle Earth slept. It was not the dragon that concerned her- it was the gold. A curse of kings lay upon the hordes of gold an jewels. She had seen Thrór suffer and be consumed by the need for it. However, she had hopes for Thorin- he was not his grandfather.
"You forget, the front gate is sealed, there's no way into the mountain," confronted Balin. Elfreda always admired him for his loyalty and his logic. All the company, including Thorin, went quiet. They sat back in their seats, knocked over at the first hurdle. But then Gandalf, with a smile on his face, leant forward and put his elbows on the table.
"That my dear Balin, is not entirely true" From the air Gandalf magically produced a key. Elfreda peered through the window, her breath causing fog patches to appear. She wiped it off as Gandalf continued.
"It was given to me by your father, by Thrain, for safe keeping"
Elfreda was taken aback. Thrain had given it to her to keep. She then gave it to Gandalf. She shook her head, that didn't matter now. Gandalf handed the key over to Thorin, the company watched with tears of joy in their eyes.
The meeting continued to go on about doors and keys and Bilbo continued to listened without really being noticed. All this about reclaiming a homeland was all new to him, he never cared about the affairs of the people outside of the Shire.
Something caught Bilbos eye, by the window sill. No it couldn't be, but it was. Bilbo stared at the object on the window sill...
It was a scone! He could not believe it, the dwarves left something behind.
"That Mr Baggins is where you come in," said Thorin. Bilbo looked confused. What were they talking about? Mountains. Keys. Doorways. Burglary. Bilbo, a burglar- never. All the dwarves stared at him.
"Me a burglar, no, I have never stolen anything in my life!" Bilbo admitted.
Elfreda laughed, what was Gandalf thinking... Bilbo was a home loving hobbit, not one who went on adventures to steal back a mountain!
"I'm afraid I agree with Mr Baggins," claimed Balin " he's hardly burglar material!" Bilbo nodded his thanks.
At this point Dwalin put his point forward" Aye, the wild is no place for gentile folk who can't fight nor fend for themselves."
All at once the dwarves started shouting and arguing again, brewing up debates about the wild. Meanwhile, Gandalf was about to explode. "Enough!" he shouted "if I say Bilbo Baggins is a burglar then a burglar he is!" The whole room shook and its people went pale with fear- Elfreda smiled. The wizard continued to talk about hobbits and their skill in waking unseen and unheard.
"And while, Smaug is accustomed to the smell of dwarf, the sent of hobbit it all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage!"
After a long while of debating in himself, Thorin finally came to a decision. He looked over at Balin.
"Give him the contract!"
Bilbo, shook his head repeating the word 'no' over and over again. Balin got up and handed Bilbo the contract.
"Funeral arrangements?" questioned Bilbo. Balin nodded.
Out in the hallway, Bilbo read the deed. It went on for several pages
"Incineration?"
Elfreda laughed, that was Smaug all over!
"Think furnace with wings!" said Bofur, trying to be helpful. Bilbo, bent over, breathing heavily.
Then he fainted.
Gandalf helped the hobbit up and walked him to a chair.
"The world is not in your books and maps" pointed Gandalf, "it's out there"
Elfreda had to duck out the way of Bilbo's gaze as he stared out the window.
"I can't go running off into the blue, I am a Baggins of Bag End"
"But you are also a Took!"
From under the window, Elfreda smiled- that's why Gandalf chose him.