Chapter 15

Fili fed Kasper more carrots than the horse had ever had in his lifetime. There was nothing Elfreda could do to make Kasper come away. Elfreda scratched the back of her neck- she was surely going to be found out now.

Fili, loved this horse and he knew his rider would not be too far away. This would be the time to get his saviours name and identity. Fili would be able to thank the hooded rider for saving his life. The son of Durin looked at his brother, Kili, who was unsure about the thought of having some stranger watching them.
"How do we even know the are safe, this rider could be anyone!" Kili questioned.

Fili rolled his eyes and smiled at his dear younger brother. The pair had grown up together and over time had become the best of friends, each one knowing the other inside out.

"Kili, the owner of this mighty steed saved our lives. I atleast want to know their identity- I think there's more to this person than a shadowed face and stunning equine skills!"

From in the trees, Elfreda beamed with pride; she had forgotten what is was like to be complimented in such a flattering way. It made her smile so much that she almost waltzed up to the young dwarves, thanked them for looking after Kasper and for the nice words, told them who she was and why she was doing this.

However, her mind was set straight again when Dwalin stirred in his sleep. He rolled over and opened his eyes, looking straight at the to princes and the horse. They all stared back. Dwalin looked at them suspiciously.
"What are you up to lads?" he asked standing up. The battle ready dwarf strode up to the pair. Fili and Kili quickly moved out the way of his stride. Dwalin approached Kasper, the horse twitched obviously nervous of the strong figure.

Horse and dwarf stared at each other, neither of them was going to back down first. Dwalin clenched his fists whilst Kasper snorted with his nostrils flaring. Not being able to keep his eyes open any longer, Dwalin blinked- to the seemingly humorous satisfaction to Kasper. The black spotted horse lifted his head and whinnied to Elfreda.

"I think he finds it funny!" joked Kili. Dwalin death glared him as he walked round Kasper, checking him. There were no signs that someone owned Kapser because he was wild so the rather frustrated dwarf said to the horse
"Go on then laddy, off you go!". With a quick slap on the behind, Kasper ran off in the opposite direction.

Elfreda tried to stop Kasper as he bolted past her. She grunted in disapproval.
"Great!" she exclaimed, slapping her leg. Elfreda knew it would take ages to find him again and she now had to track the dwarves on foot carrying equipment for two. She walked over to the branch of a tree where Kasper's saddle and bridle were hung.

Using the training the Ents had given her may years ago, she closed her eyes and lowered her breathing. As Elfreda entered a state of calm, she reached out with her mind.
"Trees" she thought "care for the objects I carry, keep them safe, keep them hidden."

As she spoke through her mind, a soft breeze washed over the wood. Strands of loose hair flew about Elfreda's face. Several long branches came down from the trees. Like arms, they swept up the saddle and bridle. Then they lifted the equine equipment high into the air and into the canopy of the trees.

The breeze died away as Elfreda left her trance like state.

By now, the dwarves had woken up and were packed ready to leave. Thorin called to his company.
"We leave in five minutes, make sure nothing is left behind!" he ordered. All of them went about different tasks like cleaning the pots and packing the blankets.

As soon as they were ready, the company set off again.