Chapter 38

The boat glided along the water which was so dark it was like a starless night. The fog had come inland covering the barge in a cloud- almost all of the people on the boat could see nothing.
"Look out!" yelped Bofur as huge stones suddenly came into view. Bard remained emotionless as he twisted the leaver and weaved the long boat through the archway of rock.
"What are you trying to do, drown us?" muttered Thorin. Bard smiled but kept his eyes straight ahead as he replied "I was born and bred on these waters, Master dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here"

Elfreda had not spoken for hours. In her soul, she felt that there was something was not there that where not the huge rocks protruding out of the water. She felt something trying to grab at her mind and pull her away.
Another thing which was concerning her was that Gandalf had not made contact; Bilbo had told her that he had suddenly taken off with little more than "he would be back soon". Why had he not told her where he was going? But Elfreda always had faith in Gandalf, what ever he was doing was for a reason. A tap on the top of her arm pulled her away from her thoughts. It was Ori.

"Excuse me but we seem to be a few pennies short of our payment for... errrm" he whispered pointed at Bard. Elfreda laughed "Bard, his name is Bard. Here," she reached into her bag that was by her feet and pulled out a small cotton bag "Oh, I must of left the rest with Kasper, sorry Ori," The young dwarf said it was no problem, thanked her for the money that she had and wandered back to the huddle of dwarves who were sat counting coin.

After adding Elfreda's contribution to the pile Balin said "come on now lads turn out your pockets, we are still ten coins short,"

All the dwarves turned their heads to look at Gloin who raised his hands and said "don't look at me! I've been bled dry by this venture".

But as Gloin grumbled a number of things, a great sight appeared over the horizon.
"Um... my dear friends look!" called Elfreda and pointed toward the Lonely Mountain. It's solitary peak was covered in dots of snow which listened in the early dawn light.

"Bless my beard!" exclaimed Gloin and drew a bag of gold from his pocket, practically stuffing it into Balin's hand. All of the company and Elfreda gazed wide eyed at the mountain.

A hand rested on Fili's shoulder. He looked up to see Elfreda smiling down on him.
"Are you alright, you seem unsteady on your feet?"
Fili nodded "I've never really seen it like this, my true home, it feels strange,"
Chuckling, Elfreda replied "The feeling of returning home is always a strange one, especially when you've never been there before and when it is your birthright"

Kili was also stood next to them when he said "will you return to your home? Our mother used to tell us stories of a ferocious female warrior who came from the south, who feared nothing a protected the world from evil. That warrior was you, wasn't it?"

A sad smile grew on her cheeks. She had always been fond of Dis' tales but never knew of the one she had created for her. In that second, Elfreda made a silent oath to visit Dis again.
"No, I can never return home. It was destroyed many thousands of years ago, before I was born. Nothing lives there, not anymore," she whispered. All the people on the boat looked at her with the same sadness in their eyes as she did.
"But, one the bright side, I have had more adventures than many ever will" she smiled. Silence loomed over the boat once again as the mountain slowly disappeared again behind a gust of cloud.

"The money, quick. Give it to me," Bard ordered. Thorin refused but Bard replied
"If you vale your lives, you'll do as I say,"

"There are guard ahead," warned Elfreda "have faith, and listen,"

All gathered around Bard, everyone listened to his plan.
"There are fourteen barrels and fifteen of you. One will have to hide under the spare sail."
Elfreda nominated to hide under the sail as all of her bags from Kasper's saddle where there. Everyone got into their positions.
"This is going to work, isn't it?" Elfreda said just loud enough for Bard to hear. She lay under the sail just behind him with just her was poking out from under the canvas.
"To be honest, I have no idea but you'll be safe there,"
"All I care is that the dwarves are safe, they're protection is my priority."
"I'll do my best, I can't make any promises"
"Your best is good enough for me!" Elfreda reassured "see you on the other side" and dipped back under the sail.

The deck of the barge was empty and peaceful. Bard had to carry out his part of the deal or all hell would break lose. He was pleased to see Elfreda again but her alliance with the dwarves concerned him. He had been eighteen when she was forced to leave Lake town. Bard himself had told his children about her in the same way the dwarves did. It made him wonder: how many legends was Elfreda part of? He put the matter aside as he floated in towards the wooden structure he called his town.

Under the sails, Elfreda lay in silence, holding onto the straps of her pack. The beige canvas let in dappled light and glinted off the buckle of her cloak. She breathed softly, lowering her heart rate to stop it from pounding on her ears.

The wave of darkness hit her again, this time only much stronger. She tried to resist but with nothing to focus her mind on, she was swept into a dark sleep like state. It was a vision. Elfreda could see what she had never wanted to see- they darkness was rising again.

Daughter of The Darknessजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें