Chapter 1

3 months before the start of The Hobbit

A wizard walked through the dark forest of Fangorn. He was dressed in grey and had a tall pointed hat and a long sliver scarf hung around his neck; a long white beard and bushy eyebrows were his only features that were not hidden by the darkness. A long twisted staff made of brown wood was held in his hand.
In the forest, he came across a wooden hut, smoke puffed gently out the small hole in the roof. A smile appeared on the mans face. He walked up to the door and, with his staff, knocked briskly on it.
"Who is it?" called a voice- a woman's voice. The wizard huffed to himself.
"A friend in need of your assistance." he replied, his voice low and calm but strong. There was a shuffling from inside the hut, a pot fell on the soft ground with a clang.
"A friend? I've forgotten the term friend!" she laughed. The window of the hut opened and the pot flew out the window and hit a nearby tree. The old man shook his head and with a soft laugh, strode over to the tree and picked up the pot.

"Now, will you let me in, Elfreda Durnhelm, I have a pot to return to your care!" The door opened with a brief creak. A young woman stood in the doorway, she was dressed in brown leather trousers and a loose white cotton shirt which came down to her thighs; a green cloak was clipped around her neck with a bronze buckle. She looked at the wizard with a soft smile but surprised clouded her deep sea blue eyes. She stepped forward out of the door frame and into the dim light, braided dark blonde hair was hung down her back but glistened in the dappled sunlight. She was the same height as any man but had the complexion of an elf, apart from her face was slightly wider. Elfreda carried no weapons on her body that the wizard could see but he new better than anyone that he should not under estimate her- he had heard the stories. Her confused face suddenly turned into recognition and her smile widened as she saw a dear friend.

"Gandalf?" Elfreda questioned "Why it has been what feels an age since we last met." Gandalf nodded and took off his hat and bowed his head. They laughed at themselves and shook each other by the hand. Elfreda invited Gandalf into her home, which he gladly accepted because he had been on the road for many days without a sutible place to stay.

The kettle of freshly boiled water was sat on the stove. Elfreda picked it up and poured two cups of pine needle tea. Gandalf took it gladly, a warm drink always settles a wizard after a long journey. Elfreda sat down on a wooden stool, her tea in hand.

"What brings you into the middle of Fangorn?" she asked. Gandalf's expression turned from a friendly gathering to business. He placed his tea onto the table and replied "I come on asking a favour, I am in legue with a band of 13 dwarves, who do not know it but may require your services," Elfreda smiled and shook her head, she knew far too well the company the dwarves took.

"Dwarves, I have not had dealings with dwarves or anyone in too many years than I care to remember, I never want to either Gandalf, I'm not ready- the world never will be" admitted Elfreda.

" The world may not be ready for you, Elfreda, but without you, I fear the darkness will return,"

With this, Elfreda sat up, fear welled up inside of her. If the darkness returned, the entire earth will fall into the abyss of shadow. She ran her fingers through her thick, soft hair. Elfreda stood up and paced around her small house, breathing heavily. She walked over to her flimsy bed. Under the frame she pulled out a chest. She unclasped the key of the chest from her neck and placed it into the lock.

"I have had no need of these for at least 60 years" she mumbled. Gandalf too had stood up. He placed his aged hand on her shoulder, in a way a father would comfort his crying child. From inside the chest she pulled out a cloth containing a sword with a hilt of gold and silver. She gripped it in her hands and sighed.
"I know, your strength will return and your glory will shine again,"
Elfreda looked up at his figure
"The company shall not see me, I will only be a spirt in the shadows to them, I am not ready to be welcomed so soon" Elfreda stated.
"Understood, I will leave you now to get yourself ready, the company will meet in the Shire at Bag End, my good friend Bilbo will be our host," smiled Gandalf.
With that, the wizard picked up his hat and staff, opened the door. As the waltzed off into the trees, Elfreda ran out the door.
"Who is the leader of this Company?" she shouted. Gandalf turned on his heels more than 50 meters away.
"Thorin Oakensheild!" he called back. Elfreda nodded her thanks as the wondering wizard disappeared into the woods from whence he appeared. He was gone in an instant.
"Thorin," said Elfreda to herself " We shall meet again!"