Chapter 32

The gate closed and Elfreda had a gut feeling that Bilbo had run inside. Now it was her turn to play her part in the rescue mission.

Kasper had trotted off around the back of the city, to wait for Elfreda to make her quick escape. Now she was left alone outside the one place in Middle Earth where she did not want to be.

Composing herself, Elfreda made sure her buckle of her cloak was straight and she looked relatively presentable. Taking in a deep breath, Elfreda strolled up to the huge gates of Mirkwood like she did not have a care in the world- but in fact her heart was in her throat and her hands were unusually clammy. She knocked on the gate and the sound echoed from inside.

"Hello? I've seemed to have turned onto the wrong path, can you give me directions?" she asked. There was no reply. Elfreda huffed and knocked again, this time a lot louder than before.

"Hello?"

Bilbo had slipped into the huge city unnoticed with the help of his golden ring. The vast palace stretched out for miles. But he had to find his friends and get him and 13 dwarves to safety whilst praying that Elfreda could hold her own.

"You won't here the end of this!" shouted Dwalin as an elf shoved the stubborn dwarf into a cell. All of the dwarves were pushed into rows of cells and the steel doors were locked and bolted.

The red haired elf was more gentle when instructing Kili to get in the cell. He stopped in the door frame and turned to look at her.

"Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers!" he said, a small smile picking at the edge of his cheeks. The female elf remained composed and emotionless as she replied

"Or nothing." The elf closed the gate and walked away with Kili smiling smugly to himself before finding himself a seat on the edge of the stone bed in the cell.

Legolas stood at the top of the rows of cells and spoke to the female elf in their native tongue.

"Why does that dwarf stare at you Tauriel?" he asked. Tauriel shook her head.

"Who can say? He is quite tall for a dwarf, do you not think?" she replied also in elvish. Legolas snorted through his nose.

"Taller than some... but no less ugly!"

By now, Elfreda had given up trying to ask her way into Mirkwood. Instead she hung 30 feet in the air holding onto tiny crevices in the citadel wall. She climbed most of the way when she stopped for a quick break on a larger ledge along the wall. Putting her hands on her hips and taking in a few deep breaths, Elfreda decided what she was going to do next. If she could bargain with the King then maybe both Bilbo and herself would not have to rustle 13 confused dwarves out of a heavily guarded city. But Elfreda tutted to herself for being so stupid- King Thranduil was never going to let the dwarves out of his sight until he got what he wanted. Still she had to try.

After finally climbing up to the top and sneaking through an open window, Elfreda jumped down onto the floor. Lifting her hood over her face, Elfreda quickly became very camouflaged in the shadows. King Thranduil's throne room was over the other side of the city and Elfreda had to get there quickly.

Knowing that running through the city was going to take too long and the fact that see was going to get caught, she had to make another plan. Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted a tree branch which had worked ad wriggled its way in through the wall.

With a run up, Elfreda launched herself at the branch, jumping high up into the air and grasping hold of the wood. Then Elfreda swung herself up so that she stood on the branch. From her vantage point, Elfreda saw a hiding place near Thranduil's throne- the perfect hiding place. She jumped down off of the branch and she landed silently on the floor, her padded boots muffling the noise.

"Bring me Oakensheild," said a noble, sliding voice. Elfreda quickly made herself disappear behind on of the stone carvings behind the throne. Here she would wait.

Soon enough four guards, two in front and two behind, lead Thorin to the throne room. He was beaten and bruised as he looked up at King Thranduil as the king sat casually gazing down upon the exiled king as if he were no other than some low life.

"You seek that which would bestow you the right to rule. The King's Jewel. The Arkenstone." Thranduil said slyly. Elfreda shook her head. Of course, the Arkenstone was the object Thorin really wanted out of this mission. True he wished to have his home back but the object he truly desired was the jewel of jewels, the most beautiful gem Elfreda had ever laid her eyes on. She remembered the way is sparkled like starlight.

"I offer you my help," Thranduil stated bowing his head. Thorin smiled darkly for a brief moment. In her head Elfreda was screaming take it Thorin you fool, take Thranduil's offer!

" I am listening," said Thorin. With this, King Thranduil stood up from his seat and walked down the steps to where Thorin was stood; however Thranduil was still at least two feet taller than Thorin.

"I will let you go!" admitted Thranduil "if you but return what is mine! You have my word. One king to another" Elfreda placed her head in her hands. Dwarves and elves were constantly fighting over one thing or another and could never come to even the smallest of agreements.

"You, lack all honor! I have seen how you treat your friends! We came to you once, starving, homeless; seeking your help. But you turned your back!" Thorin shouted opening his arms in a mad rage. Then in the harsh language of the dwarves Thorin yelled "My you die in dragon fire!"

Both Elfreda and Thranduil were taken slightly aback by what Thorin had said. Elfreda because she knew Thorin was usually more composed and decided on his words. But Thranduil decided to bite back by saying

"Do not talk to me of dragon fire. I know its wrath and ruin. I have faced the great serpents of the north!" As he said this, Thranduil became covered in shadow and slowly, half of his unaged complexion face melted away revealing horrific burns and gashes. They were red and bloody with no sign that they were ever going to heal, not even elvish medicine could heal these wounds. The sight made Elfreda pity the elvish king, she had seen those type of wounds before but only on the dead and dying. Thranduil stepped out of the shadow and his royal face turned back to its original state. The king summoned his guard to take Thorin back to his cell. As Thorin was dragged out of the throne room, Thranduil called mockingly out to him

"Stay here and rot if you will. A hundred years is a mere blink of an eye of an elf. I am patient. I can wait!"

Thranduil returned to his throne and breathed in heavily. He put his hand to his face where the wounds had been and ran his fingers along his cheek. Then a voice from behind him said

"You know, my lord, you really should get some ointment for those scars"