Chapter 42

IT'S THE WEEKEND!
--------------------

"Dragon fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all," Bard declared as he pushed his way through the crowd. Elfreda not too far behind grumbling to herself about the uselessness of others and apologising to the people Bard had shoved through and pushed over. She stood in the crowd a few rows back in order to remain out of the political debate about to commence. Although she did not enjoy politics, Elfreda did not hate it.

"You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you, if we succeed all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!" retorted Thorin. The crowd cheered, clapping their hands and yelling. A older woman who was also cheering looked over at Elfreda who stood stock still, arms folded and stared. Elfreda returned the look, shaking her head warningly. Turning to the crowd, Bard answered the heir of Erebor's future plans with "all of you, have you forgotten what happened to Dale?" The mention of the old city dropped the cheers and whoops like a stone. Everyone went quiet. But Bard continued "have you forgotten those who died in the fire storm? And for what purpose? The ambition of a Mountain King, so riven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!" The older woman next to Elfreda lowered her head, she remembered the screams that filled the air which was just as thick as the smoke from Smaug.
"Let us not forget, that it was your ancestor, Girion Lord of Dale who failed to kill the beast!" included the Master, who obviously wanted to join in the conversation. Alfrid continued with his sly voice as slick as oil "arrow after arrow he shot, each one missing his mark," There were soft murmurs amongst the crowd.
"Yet Girion was a better leader than you, do not blame him for what happened one hundred and seventy four years ago. And yes. I counted each and every one." counteracted Elfreda stepping forward to the gasps of the wide eyed public "do not abuse the name of a leader who died protecting his people," She swaggered through the company, past Bard and right up the front of the steps where she could go not further due to the guards' spears crossed in her face. The Master snorted a laugh but stopped when Elfreda's face remained as straight as the water on the horizon. Alfrid seethed but Elfreda held his stare, her eyes like a china doll and reflecting the firelight so that they burned golden in the night. "Back down, woman or you will be forced to leave," said one of the guards. Reluctantly Elfreda stepped back but not far, still glaring.

In the meantime Bard turned to Thorin "you have no right to enter that mountain," he warned.

"I have the only right," replied Thorin, he had taken no notice of Elfreda's rant but if he did he showed no sign of approval, not that she cared. Thorin turned away from Bard and addressed the Master " I speak to the Master of the men of the lake. Will you share in the great wealth of our people? What say you?"

"I say unto you..." the Master replied" Welcome!" With that the crowd cheered and Bard shook his head in sadness. Everyone slowly started to depart but Elfreda stayed with them. Behind, Alfrid whispered to the guards at the front who nodded and saluted. "Well congratulations Thorin," said Elfreda, smiling softly. Thorin nodded triumphantly when two firm hands grasped Elfreda's shoulders.

"Under orders from the deputy of the Master, you are under arrest for disorderly conduct. You can calm down in the cells,"

"Alfrid you little..." Elfreda scolded but a look from the company made her swallow the rest of her sentence.

"Now that's not fair, sir" said Gloin.

"Now, now Gloin they are just doing their job," said Elfreda and turned to Thorin, grasping him by the shoulder and whispering "something is wrong with Kili, he's ill. Look after him, be the proper uncle" an do what is right." With that the guards took Elfreda away, she let them feel they had some power over her.

The prison was dark and water dripped from somewhere in the roof. There were groans of petty thieves in the cells next to Elfreda's as the bared doors were shut and locked, the iron key scraping in the lock. Elfreda curled up on to the slab they called a bed and wrapped the thin fabric blanket and fell uncomfortably asleep.

Elfreda walked alongside Gandalf and Radagast up the ruin drawbridge of Dol Guldor.
"It looks completely abandoned," whispered Radagast.
"As it is meant to," replied Elfreda. They did not hear it though, she was there subconsciously. Both wizards did not know she was there. But someone did.
"A spell of concealment lies over this place. Which mean the enemy is not ready to reveal himself. Radagast, I need you to carry a message to the Lady Galadriel. Tell her we must force his hand," hushed Gandalf. After a moment of refusal, Radagast left. Just before, he turned around and said "What if its a trap?"

Gandalf replied "turn around and do not come back," then turn away and whispered to himself "it is undoubtably a trap," Gandalf drew his sword and walked into the ruins with Elfreda tagging along behind.

Elfreda was suddenly transported from Gandalf's side to an underneath chamber. She could hear the wizard casting revealing spells.

Elfreda's heart stopped in her chest as an Orc stepped right through her. It said "he is using a lifting spell. He will find us,"

Then the pale Orc replied "yes... he will"

Elfreda woke, a yell escaping her shout escaping her mouth. She gripped the cotton blanket, her knuckles white and sweat pouring off her body. Outside it was pitch black but the sounds of music from a party. The Master was trying to get into Thorins good books.

"Are you alright miss?" asked a man in the cell next door. She looked at him, fear running through her.
"Thank you, I'm alright. Just a dream."
"That was more than a dream, you were thrashin' around'n shoutin',"
"Well thank you good sir, if i get some sleep then I might feel better,"
After a goodnight back, Elfreda lay back down on the slab and closed her eyes. But the Pale Orc hauted her dreams.