Chapter 14

Gandalf and Galadriel watched Elfreda gallop away on Kasper far off into the distance. They realised she needed this time to be with her thoughts but also be distracted from them so she would not be consumed by it.

Galadriel turned to Gandalf, her eyes were stern but also full of worry.
"I fear her father will destroy her, like he did to her mother" she said solemnly. Gandalf could do nothing but agree.
"We still have time to hide her, the dark lord still thinks she is dead, like many on this earth" he replied.

Galadriel went quiet, she also knew the wrath of the dark lord.
"Sauron will want revenge, if we are at war, we will have to fight the darkness with the light,"
Gandalf looked at the elven queen, his eyes full of concern and worry for Elfreda.
"Elfreda is the light that forced Sauron, her father, into hiding. But it destroyed her. This time I fear he will be far more powerful."

They talked like this for a long while. The grey wizard enjoyed the company of an elf so fair and wise but now her advise was dark and mysterious.

Elfreda let Kasper do what he wanted as he cantered following the company. Tears streamed down her tanned cheeks. The cold air made the trail of salty tears freeze. She had made sure her father, the person who caused so much pain, would never return whilst she could breathe.

Now he had. Sauron had regrouped and began massing army to retake Middle Earth. She had failed. She had failed her friends. She had failed the home she loved most dear. Elfreda did not know what she could do.

She tried to forget the council and focus on finding the dwarves. They were not that hard to track; their heavy footsteps were imprinted deeply in the snow of the mountain range the were crossing.

That night the dwarves rested peacefully. However Elfreda stayed up all night sat in a tree above the campfire were Fili and Kili were on watch. They joked and messed around with the flames, trying to singe each others hair. They did not even notice the figure in the oak tree above them.

Kasper nickered from below the tree. He wanted something to eat. Like a squirrel, Elfreda jumped from the oak to another one. From this tree, she climbed down to Kasper. She stroked his muzzle and lead him over to her rucksack where she took out a carrot.
"See, Elrond looks after you in Rivendell but outside these treats are a luxury," she hushed. Kasper crunched the carrot and swallowed it. He looked at her for more but Elfreda said no, that was enough for one day.

Elfreda dosed off cuddling Kasper, where she knew she was safe. Nightmare haunted her sleep. Her mother was there, cradling the baby Elfreda in her soft arms.
"Shhhh, my child, you will be safe in the care of the trees," Elfreda's mother handed her to a tree who's branches curled around the child and lifted her up into the canopy.

Elfreda woke screaming. She was breathing heavily. Standing up, Elfreda calmed herself down and looked around for Kasper who disappeared.

"Come on Kili, it's just a horse!" mocked Fili. Elfreda looked up to the sky and shook her head. Kasper had been tempted by the two dwarves to come out of his hiding place by a carrot. The horse was wild at heart and was naturally very cautious around people beside Elfreda. However, carrots were Kasper's favourite treat and he could not resist the temptation.

Fili recognised the horse immediately.
"Hello buddy" he cheered" come on Kili, he's perfectly fine!"
Kili looked at the horse with suspicion. If there was a tame horse near by there about to be someone else out there. The young dwarf approached the horse with his had held out. Kasper sniffed at it, trusting him as well as his brother.

Behind them, Elfreda tried to signal for Kasper to leave but it was not working. The stallion adored food as much as the dwarves did. Elfreda put her hand to her face.
"You stupid animal, letting your stomach rule your head!" She adored Kasper but sometimes he was just like a child.