Chapter 33

A slick grin appeared at the edge of Thranduil's mouth.

"Don't even think about calling your guards," murmured Elfreda. Thranduil stood up from his throne and turned to face her.

"The thought never crossed my mind" he admitted. The king invited her to step forward out of her hiding place and Elfreda did so. She looked around to see if anyone was there; but Thranduil was true to his word, there was no one around.

"Why have you come here?" Thranduil questioned. Elfreda smiled and crossed her arms.

"I think you know," she replied. The king looked puzzled for a while, thinking over what she had said. Suddenly his eyes widened with realisation.

"You're here to rescue the dwarves," he whispered. This time the slick grin creeped across Elfreda's cheeks.

"Yes please," she said like a child. Thranduil laughed; he laughed long and hard. Elfreda could not understand why. She looked at him and expected him to explain himself. But she knew him too well, he would never tell her.

"You think I would just let the dwarves go free?" he questioned. Elfreda rolled her eyes- Thranduil was not the best person to barter with. Elfreda looked at him, her eyes asking him to continue. Thranduil continued to smile as he resumed what he was saying.

"Elfreda, I will set this out simply as you seem incapable of understanding. No. I will not let the dwarves go." the king stated. Elfreda glared at Thranduil- how dare he insult her! She slouched on her right leg and crossed her arms.

"Ha! Incapable! I would rather be incapable than ignorant such as yourself!" mocked Elfreda and as she said this, she bowed like an actor does at the end of a play and stood up again in a sarcastic smile. Thranduil took a step towards her. Elfreda stepped back a few paces, to keep out of the kings unnaturally long reach- not that she would say it but sometimes she was scared of the king.

"I am glad you do not live in my palace, in fact I am glad you do not live anywhere. The dark world had influenced you child, I do not wish to have that darkness in my house!"

Elfreda was fuming so much that quite possibly steam could have funneled out her ears like a steam train. She kept the urge to slap the king buried deep within her. Elfreda had battled the Darkness for as long as she could remember- she would never give into it. The evil that her father was consumed by, she swore would never consume her. She would fight it until there was no breath in her body; but because she was destined to live forever, air would always flow through her body.

"What are your terms, King Thranduil?" she asked trying to change the subject. The king gazed off, not saying anything. They both stood their in the silence for a long while until Elfreda broke it with a short but loud cough.

Thranduil blinked, "follow me," he said. Without saying anymore words, Thranduil strolled off, walking past Elfreda like he was gliding. She waited for him to walk a few paces before quickly following him like a baby duck. Surprisingly, the palace was very quiet and they did not encounter anyone as Thranduil and Elfreda walked one behind the other in silence until the king lead her to the room which was away from the rest.

There was a small table in the room which only had two cups and wooden jug of water. Thranduil paced over to the table and offered Elfreda a cup- which she accepted. Handing the cup over, Thranduil continued,

"What can you offer me in return for the dwarves of Erebor?" he asked. Elfreda took a sip of the water. The cool, refreshing liquid trickled down the back of her throat and made butterflies fly around in her stomach.

"Well, that depends on whether you wish to make me angry or not, my king" she replied, not mockingly this time but formal and business like. Thranduil smiled, he had his cu in his hands but he did not take a drink.
"There a gems in that mountain that I desire. White gems that were supposed to be mine before Thór gave them to you as a reward,"

Elfreda looked at the elf king and shook her head
"My king Thranduil, I have no desire for gems, as I am sure you are very aware but I was thinking more in terms of information"

"What information, I have none to offer you," replied the King, taking a small sip of the water. The water had no effect on Thranduil as he was an elf and the pure elvish water was common place. Elfreda chuckled.
"Oh my lord I think you do. You can tell me why your son is alive when you told me he had died in battle." she stated.

Thorin was thrown into a cell with Balin. He looked out through the bars. Balin looked at Thorin
"Did he offer you a deal?" the older dwarf asked. Thorin nodded with a slick grin upon his face.
"He did. I told him he could go ishkh khafe andu null. Him and all his kin!!"

Balin sighed and shook his head in despair, his long white beard rippling like sliver water. He was sat on the stone bed.
"Well, that's that then. The deal was our only hope,"

Thorin turned to look at his dear and loyal friend. He put his tanned hands on Balin's shoulders.
"It's not our only hope, we still have Bilbo,"

Fili and Kili had there own cell. Fili was slumped in the corner with his hands wrapped around his knees whilst Kili lay on the stone slab and tossing a shined stone and catching it.
"Mother told you to keep the Talisman safe, Kili" said Fili sharply. Huffing, Kili caught the small, rounded pebble and replied to his brother
"Pfft, what's put you in a bad mood?" replied Kili.
"We are locked in an elvish prison cell, Kili, not that you would have noticed whilst chatting up that elf maiden,"

Kili started to laugh at his older brother, he found it funny when he was grumpy.
"Oh come on! Its just a bit of fun. Besides, your still huffy about leaving Elfreda behind,"

Fili glared at his brother; but Kili just ignored him, chuckling to himself.
"She'll be alright, brother, she could withstand a lot more than even our uncle could" Kili reassured.
"Yeah, I guess. And to be honest, Kili, I think you picked the right elf to flirt with"