Chapter 5

"Mutton yesterday, mutton today and blimey if it don't look like mutton again tomorrow!" grumbled a troll. Three ugly trolls sat around a huge fire- cooking what looked like grey slop.
Elfreda found a great place to hide, she could see almost everything going on without even turning her head. Best of all she could do this without being seen. In the centre of it sat the trolls and to her left hid Bilbo.
Fili and Kili had abandoned the poor hobbit to retrieve the stolen ponies. Bilbo studied the situation carefully, a respectable hobbit like himself had never been in a place like this- he would have to plan this very carefully. If he did not hurry, they were going to eat the ponies and Thorin would not be pleased.

"Not like that leathery old farmer, all skin and bone he was, I'm still pickin' bits o' him out of my teeth!" nagged another troll. Elfreda gasped and held her hand against her mouth, that poor family. Gandalf was right- not that she ever doubted the wizard- the Company were in danger so she had to help.

The ponies whinnied and reared up with fright. Bilbo knew he had to do something, but he did not know what. He crept around the treeline that marked out this small circle of space. Suddenly on of the beasts sneezed, the contents of his nose ending up in the slop.

"Oh that's nice in'it a floater!" snapped the first troll.

The last troll mocked the troll who was cooking "Oh it might improve the flavour!"

A rather skinny, foul looking toll replied with a high screech voice. He sounded very proud of his accomplishments "There's more where that came from!" From his behind, he produced a rather disgusting piece of cloth, a prepared to blow his nose again- Elfreda and Bilbo retched at the same time. The cook stood up and shoved his nose out of his food, the skinny troll screeched and whined in pain as he was flung back into his seat.

Bilbo had successful made it to the ponies, his plan had worked. Now for another to free them and get them away safely before the trolls noticed. He tried pulling the thick rope to see it it would come free but troll knots are not an easy thing to undo.

Elfreda almost made a lurch to intervene as the skinny troll, stood and checked the ponies. Luckily, Bilbo went unnoticed, hiding behind the fence like a rabbit in headlights. She laid back down into the advantage point, she was enjoying how the hobbit worked things out with precision like a true adventurer. She smiled as Biblo notice the rather odd blade that the troll had by his side. He crawled over to it and looked it, mapping out how to take it.

Without warning, the troll with the blade stodd up, pulling his cloth he used for a kandkercheif and claping Bilbo in the prosess and sneezing dircetly onto the hobbit.

Elfreda looked away, she felt ill. She hated snot, best of all troll snot. Things could get ugly, trolls did not take intruders likely.

"I'm a burglar...hobbit," stuttered Bilbo. The trolls had him upside down, holding the poor hobbit by his slimy feet. Elfreda was quickly making her plan of attack as the great lumps of flesh interrogated Bilbo. The trolls looked confused, their small beady eyes glancing around.
"Are there anymore of you little fellas hidin' where ya shouldn't?" questioned the biggest. Bilbo shook his head and replied firmly "No!"
Elfreda ran, placing an arrow on her bow as the trolls threatened with toe burning. She pulled the arrow back to her cheek, aiming straight for the beasts head. She had a perfect view, her shoulder set low into the bow, her eyes directly down the shaft.
She released just as a young dwarf, Kili, ran out of the shrubbery, stabbing the skinny troll in the foot. The arrow flew silently past the trolls ear and hit a tree making a splintering noise- no one heard of cause they were too busy with the plucky dwarf. Elfreda grunted. One dwarf, no matter how skilled never could take down three fully sized trolls.
"Drop him!" the dwarf yelled " I said, drop him!" The troll by the name of Bert through Bilbo, who came crashing down on top of the black haired dwarf.
A huge roar of dwarves, ran out swinging swords and axes. They attacked the trolls. Elfreda stamped her foot- great what a fight!