Chapter 87

Chapter 87

Ten minutes later after much bickering over which movie would be best, Pitch Perfect was in the DVD player. Alan found himself watching his girlfriend more than the film; she was much more captivating in his honest opinion. When the credits scrolled down the screen, Jessie stopped the DVD and got up to take the disc out and return it to its case. The iPod sitting on the dock was turned on causing soft music began to play. Jessie then returned to the warmth of Alan’s chest, snuggling into him and sighing contentedly. Alan felt overwhelming gratefulness and wonder that the remarkable woman in his arms chose him. He could not imagine his life now without her and did not want to.

Alan had been thinking a lot recently about when and how he should propose, trying to come up with some kind of plan. He had been carrying around the ring in his pocket, just in case. He and Jessie had not talked about marriage directly but he knew that she loved him, and he most definitely loved her. He hoped she would say yes. He mulled over it again; what would Jessie like most – planned or impromptu? Small and intimate? He figured, based on what he knew about her that she would not mind, just as long as the question was asked. He rubbed his free hand’s palm on his jeans. Thinking about this was making him nervous. He looked down at Jessie snuggling into him. He realised that he didn’t want to wait – not knowing. Alan wanted to be her fiancé.

Alan leaned down and kissed her forehead.

“Hey, can we talk about something?” He asked, gently tapping her arm.

“Yeah, sure,” she replied, sitting up to face him.

“Okay,” Alan began. His heart was pounding. “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about us, our relationship and what the future holds and… I’ve concluded that I want to live the rest of my life with you,” he took her hands. “I love you, Jessie Louise Mills,” he took a deep breath and slid from the couch onto one knee. He let go of one of her hands to grasp the ring box. Jessie’s eyes widened and a gasp escaped her lips as she realised what was happening. A smile graced the face hidden behind her hand.

“I love you with all of my heart, Jessie. Will you marry me?” Alan asked. He opened the ring box. Jessie grinned and nodded.

“Yes,” she replied simply.

An enormous grin spread across Alan’s face as he brought his, now, fiancée’s mouth down to his for a loving kiss. When they finally pulled apart, Alan slid the ring across Jessie’s finger.

“Oh my God,” Jessie said in disbelief, realisation dawning on her face. Reality setting in. “You just proposed. We’re getting married!”

“We are, Jess,” Alan grinned, kissing her again. Jessie beamed at him. Alan lifted off his knee to sit back on the couch.

“I was so not expecting that when you came over this evening,” Jessie laughed.