Chapter 63: Powers

Chapter 63

The two new arrivals took in the patches of flame and the puddles around the room. They also noticed Jennifer and Leila were in the pool.

"What on earth?" Bella asked.

"Just a little control issue," Emma replied shakily. She was still shocked by what happened.

"Whatever the moon did to their powers has not gone away. I'd say that these powers are here to stay." Rikki stated.

"What I find curious is why only their powers were affected. Why not the younger kids – or even us too?" Emma asked.

"Mysterious." Rikki muttered.

"What actually happened?" Bella continued after a pause.

OoOoO

Rikki took a deep breath. "Okay kids, who is next?" They all began to shrink back.

"Charlie?"

"Fine." Her daughter replied.

Charlie moved forward.

"I don't want to lose control." She admitted sheepishly.

"Don't worry about it." Emma said. This was as reassurance more for her own sake- not so much for Charlie's.

Charlie lost control just like her twin had done. She jumped into the moon pool extinguishing it. Once she had regained control, she pulled herself out of the pool. Before Rikki could tell her not to, Charlie had begun to dry herself off. All of a sudden, her body was engulfed in flame. Bella and Jennifer screamed. Rikki didn't know what to do. Then, she was gone. She had vanished into thin air or out of the water as it was. Everyone stared open mouthed.

OoOoO

Charlie's P.O.V

Where was this power coming from? I was engulfed in flame. I felt exhilarated. The danger of what was happening suddenly dawned on me. I ran into the moon pool. My body was hot, yet I didn't feel it. There was no pain. The water was bubbling around me. How was the flame not extinguished? I was beginning to get scared. I was only in the water for a few seconds but to me it felt like minutes. I suddenly felt like I was being divided into hundreds of little pieces, torn apart, but the agony I expected didn't come about. I was floating, flying, bodiless. After what felt like an age, I was released back into my body.

I gasped. Had I been holding my breath all that time? Where was I? I was still burning. How was I not feeling this? All I could see was fire. I realised that my vision wasn't going but burning trees surrounded me. A bush fire! I looked up just as a huge falling branch was going to hit me. I put my hand up to protect myself and closed my eyes. The blow never came. I peeked out from behind my arm. It was hovering in mid-air? Was I controlling it? I experimented moving my wrist. The branch moved with me. I could control it with fire as Jenny and stuff did with water? Cool! After playing around for a bit, I began to walk. How was I going to get home? Could I teleport? It would be absolutely amazing if I could…

Just as I was thinking this I was taken again, torn apart going who knows where. This wasn't just magic. I was deposited again – this time on top of a campfire. A campfire? It was daytime when I left! As the haze lifted from my mind I recognised a few shrill screams and gasps in shock. The owners of those mentioned screams and gasped began talking quickly. American accents? I sat up.

Four kids were staring at me in shock. Two girls and two boys about my age. I was still in the fire. I got up and dusted the embers off me. I was surprised to notice that my clothes were not charred in the least.

"Who are you?" the tallest boy asked shakily.

"Charlie," I smiled, offering my hand. He shrunk back. I shrugged.

"Where am I?" I asked.

"Franklin." The smaller girl replied. I looked blank.

"Connecticut?" the other boy replied in a tone saying 'Where else?"

"America?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Where else could you be?" the first boy asked.

"Well, I was in Australia a few minutes ago," I muttered. As I said it, I realised how incredible it sounded.

"Are you a witch?" the girl who had not spoken yet asked. I shook my head with a smirk in response.

"Alien?" the first boy asked; he was obviously the most vocal of the group.

I laughed, "Do I look like an alien?"

"That's what they all say in the comics." He said with a frown.

"Are you a kid superhero?" the other boy asked.

"You could say that, yeah." I grinned. This was not technically true but whatever.

"You're not denying anything!" the second girl exclaimed, shocked at my honesty.

"That would be pointless wouldn't it?" I replied with a shrug. They had just seen me appear out of no-where landing on their fire – which had been smothered by me. It had almost gone out. Surely letting these kids know wouldn't hurt; they lived on the other side of the world and even if they told – which I doubted they would, no one would believe a bunch of kids – I knew this from my own experience and Mum had always enforced this to us so we wouldn't be paranoid in public around kids.

"What are your powers?" she asked.

"Well, I can boil water and create fire and I think I can teleport…I've only just developed it hence why I am here…" I trailed off.

"Awesome! Can you show us?" the first girl asked.

"I will as long as you promise not to tell anyone. Swear on it." They did so. I continued, "Can I use one of your hot chocolates?" the second boy passed me his. I placed it on the ground. I stretched out hand and began to boil it. They were in awe.

"How are you doing that?" The second boy asked.

"I'm using the water," I replied, "I've been doing it since I was born. I was born as a…" I stopped. Was I really going to say it? "A mermaid."

"They really exist?" the second girl asked eagerly.

"You just met one," I smiled.

"I didn't know mermaids had powers," the first boy muttered, "that just makes them so much cooler,"

I smiled inwardly at that comment.

Normal P.O.V

Charlie stretched her hand to the fire. She hoped that she would not lose control this time. A steady stream of fire flowed from her palm setting the fire alight again. Success. Suddenly, she felt heat flow up her arm. She left as quickly as she came leaving only four dumbstruck kids, a boiling cup of hot chocolate and a roaring campfire. It was as if she had never been there. Unknown to them, Charlie was again travelling through the air to her unknown destination.

A/N: The second chapter as promised. Thanks to everyone for all the support - I really appreciate it. I honestly am still in shock about how successful my series has become. THANKS! Also thanks for bearing all the waits between the updates. ALL reviews are appreciated. I take all criticism, praise and story ideas into account (and if I do use an idea mentioned in a review I'll accredit it to you.)

THANKS!!!!!!!!

-Krystalslazz