Aftermath I

Chapter 59

All of the mer and human alike felt an immense pain fill their minds and bodies, it began to fade and Alan saw the jewel sink into the wall. Amidst the light and pain, they saw the words, 'Your intentions have set you free,' but it was so faint it could have been imagined. With another painful flash, they felt themselves being released. Bella and Rikki aided Jessie after Will gave her a siphon of his air. As she breathed it in, she suddenly flinched and wrapped her arms around her chest. As she had taken the breath in, her chest was in agony but her lungs were being relieved at the same time. Bella and Rikki helped to guide her out, taking some of her weight. Alan looked frantic. Will told him to calm down and they left cave. As they were leaving, Rikki noticed that slowly the treasure was returning to the place it was when they first arrived. She was glad to say goodbye. They all knew that if the boys had been any later, Jessie would have drowned and if they did not come at all, so would the rest of them would have suffered the same fate.

When they finally got to the surface, everyone took deep breaths in – except for Jessie. She was finding it extremely difficult to breath. She was in too much pain. She was gently placed on the deck of the boat. They were glad that Cleo left it behind. Fred gunned the engine and off they went with all mers on-board.

OoOoO

Emma, Cleo and Phoebe rushed into the Emergency department of the hospital.

"Help someone!"

Zane was placed on a hospital bed and was wheeled quickly into the operation theatre. It was agonising for the girls, waiting with no response.

Emma's phone started ringing.

"Hello? Emma speaking," she paused listening to the person on the other end. "Oh Will! Are you all alright?" Cleo and Phoebe waited in anticipation for the conversation to develop.

"That's great news…and that's not so good news...We're in the hospital now. I guess we'll see you when you arrive. Have you told Rikki yet?"

"Ah, No. She'll figure it out soon enough," Will replied.

"Will!"

"Fine! I'll tell her. If I come out of it injured - I'll blame you."

"See you," Emma hung up.

"What's happened?" Cleo asked.

"Turns out that that pillar has really injured Jess – they suspect broken ribs. They're bringing her here."

OoOoO

"Guys? Where's Zane?" Rikki asked confused. She was surprised and angry with herself that she hadn't noticed sooner. How could she not have? Well, maybe it was to do with caring about getting out of that cave ASAP.

"Ah, about that," Will began.

"What?" Rikki asked, extremely worriedly.

"He's just been rushed into hospital with severe injuries – he got hit by a few boulders on the way in and we had to take him back to the surface…" Will trailed off not looking her in the eye.

"A few boulders! Severe injuries? Why did no one tell me?" she yelled looking at them all.

"We didn't want you to worry…" Will started after no one met her challenge.

"You didn't want me to worry!" she asked incredulous, "He's my husband! It's my job to worry!"

They all looked sheepishly at the fiery blonde.

"Aren't you going to say anything?"

Will opened his mouth to speak again but Bella placed her arm on his.

"Will sorry suffice?" Bella asked.

OoOoO

Jessie was also rushed through the hospital without having to wait, one because fortunately for them, there were not too many patients waiting, and she was in a very bad way. As she went in it dawned on the others that she was a mermaid in a hospital. A mermaid. In hospital. They hoped nothing would happen to expose her. They prayed that the surgeons and doctors wouldn't use water. Emma had asked that water not be used unless absolutely necessary. She was given a weird look, but they agreed after Emma provided a doctors certificate (that Lewis had created, as her official GP)

All the village members were called and informed of the disastrous, yet successful happenings of the day. The Bennett children were brought to the hospital to be with their mother while everyone but Emma, Rikki, Cleo, and Alan stayed. Lewis arrived at the hospital quickly for support. Phoebe apologetically left asking earnestly to be informed of everyone's conditions.

OoOoO

After an agonising and extremely long wait, they finally heard the news of both their patients. Jessie had two cracked ribs and internal bleeding luckily however, no organs were damaged. The surgeons removed bleeding and sorted out the source of the bleed. Luckily, she had not lost enough blood to require a blood transfusion. True to their word, towels were used to clean up Jessie; no water involved. After this, she was wheeled into a ward of the hospital and given ibuprofen and pain medication. She would find it very difficult and painful to breath until her ribs healed.

"Are there any family members here?" a nurse asked.

"No," Alan replied, "And don't expect any to arrive: she has no siblings or mother and her Dad works and lives in Japan. I'm her boyfriend and I'd really appreciate seeing her."

The nurse looked hesitant. "I'll go and talk to my supervisor," she said before scuttling off.

After a brief conference, the nurse was back to take Alan to his beloved. This left Emma, Cleo, Lewis, Rikki and her five kids.

"Will Daddy be okay?" Jay asked.

"I hope so," Rikki replied.

OoOoO

After another hour, the news about Zane finally arrived. He had stitches to sew up a large wound on his head – luckily as far as the doctors could see, there was no brain damage. He also had a broken shoulder – therefore, this was strapped up too. Both Jessie and Zane would stay in over night to be monitored for any other unwelcome developments.

The same nurse came to ask if there were any immediate family members for Zane.

"I'm his wife and these are my kids. Could one of my friends come too to help with them?" she asked. The nurse nodded.

"I'm sure that can be arranged."

A/N: Sorry again for the long wait, I hope this chapter was worth it :P Sorry that it is only one chapter - I have been so busy with school work. I live in NZ so it is actually winter here. It is 2 days into the Term 2 Holidays and I just got back from Auckland. So hopefully I'll have time before I go away skiing to write one more chapter.

I hope you enjoyed it and thanks so much to everyone who has commented and favourited etc, I really appreciate it. This chapter was a response to various reviews: AllisonDeVille, FlorindaBrydon, IsarahEtienne, supdiddlyup, Writerchick101, doodlecake,  h2ohannahmontana, writegirl, writerchick101, and especially to TheOrginal3_Rikki who apparently has been reading this non-stop for the past few days and got an account just for me :)

Thanks everyone!!!!