Chapter 121

Chapter 121

"Will we need to find and capture a living mermaid to prove the findings?" Ryan asked Katya.

"Not necessarily," Katya replied. "If there is enough evidence we can present the findings. However, if we did have a specimen, then there would be no doubt that mermaids exist,"

"I can't afford for this to fall through," Ryan said with a frown. "I have noted a route that the mermaids regularly take – if we set a trap there, we could get the specimen needed,"

"Okay. It would need to be a safe trap – so that there is no damage or risk to the mermaid caught. Since we believe they are intelligent, we will need to be very careful about their health and wellbeing," Katya rationalised. "The RAD - Rotary Actuated Dodecahedron, would probably be the safest way to catch them, but it might be hard to find one large enough quickly – and if mermaids are intelligent and quick swimmers, they may see it, and it may not be fast enough to get them. It might be best to lure them into an enclosed area and block them in,"

"Maybe if we catch a juvenile first, we will be able to lure an adult in," Ryan offered. Ryan had not yet told Katya that he knew the identities of the mermaids. He would when it became relevant.

"That could work," Katya said with a smile. "Just remember, Ryan, that I am only interested in this research if the subjects remain unharmed,"

"Understood," Ryan nodded.

Ryan showed Katya his mapping of the mermaid's movements, their favour for Mako Island and strange movement to shallower water close to housing on the mainland. Katya commented that she thought it odd that mythical creatures spent so much time near a populated area.

Ryan talked about his 'suspicion' that the mermaids had power over water, and they would have to be careful if this was the case. Katya had raised an eyebrow, suspecting Ryan knew more about this than he was letting on, but she did not press the issue.

"Perhaps tranquilisers might be the safest way of capturing one?" Ryan suggested.

"Possibly," Katya replied. "The dosage might be risky – we don't know whether their biological make up is more human or more dolphin-like. Too much or too little could be problematic,"

"Surely though if it is on the weaker side it will at least make them woozy? Just a thought to keep us safe," he responded.

"I will look into it," Katya said, not ruling the idea out.

OoOoO

Katya spent a few days in her lab analysing the biological sample that Ryan had provided. Since their first meeting, Ryan had been able to find one more scale for analysis. Ryan had again retrieved this from near the mainland house (where the mermaids dragged themselves up on the sand to get dry).

Katya ran a variety of tests, including looking at how much water content triggered the metamorphosis, durability, and DNA analysis (while wet and while dry).

She started to type up her findings as part of their research.

The first scale was much larger compared to the second scale Ryan had found. Katya wanted to see if she could find out the ages of the subjects by using the DNA. She wondered if there would be a difference for age and other information while wet and while dry.

After consulting with Ryan, they agreed to involve another scientist by the name of Dr Michael Florence. He was a trusted friend of Katya and a microbiologist and geneticist.

Dr Florence was not given the full details but knew that this was related to a possible mythical creature. Katya's lawyers drew up all the correct paper work, which guaranteed secrecy. Ryan was glad that he had found those samples.