Chapter 106

Chapter 106

"Ryan?"

To say Ryan was surprised was an understatement. The person who had inadvertently started the events rolling which led to his ongoing obsession, was standing before him. He hadn't interacted with the other two as much while he was working with Cleo's step mother, Sam, all those years ago. He had to think for a moment about what their names were. Rikki, Zane's....what were they then? He couldn't remember if Rikki and him were together at the time. He did know that Zane was still completely hung up on Rikki, and wasn't really giving Sophie a second glance, despite her obvious interest. The other woman...B...Bella, that was it.

Rikki responded, realising no one had spoken for a few minutes (and Cairo was looking increasingly uncomfortable as everyone stared gobsmacked, something that they didn't think was possible for the confident man to feel).

"My client owns that necklace that you want to take, and I am here to try and get it off you, Cleo and Bella had some vacation days, so they came along,"

"Well..." Ryan said, "I have bought it fair and square off Cairo here, and I've travelled to pick this thing up. I'm not leaving without it."

"I suppose that is your answer, my dears," Cairo said. After checking Ryan's ID and paperwork, he handed the case over to the other man, and shook his hand. "Enjoy."

Cairo proceeded to disappear into one of the other rooms of the complex. Erin followed.

"There is no way we can persuade you to part with it?" Cleo asked Ryan pleadingly.

"I'm afraid not," he said, clutching the small case closer to his chest. It was a subtle display of protectiveness. Cleo looked away, disappointed.

"Well, it was nice to see you again, ladies," Ryan said, starting to backing towards the door, "Good bye."

They watched Ryan leave, feeling slightly gobsmacked.

"Seriously," Rikki said exasperated. "Why can't anything be simple for us?"

"With our track record are you really that surprised?" Bella said. Rikki just tilted her head back with a huffed sigh, her annoyance obvious.

"I just can't believe that it was Ryan," Cleo said. "Of all people in the world that buy recovered pieces of jewellery, I did not peg the geologist that used to work with Sam would,"

The girls heard Ryan's boat motor start, and they started to walk outside.

"What do we do now?" Bella asked.

"We follow him," Rikki said. "Maybe we can find a way to recover it ourselves,"

"You mean..." Cleo trailed off. Rikki nodded with a sly smile. "But Rikki, we could get into serious trouble..." Cleo protested.

"Oh come on Cleo, it's the only way to get it back, and aren't you forgetting something? I would rather my kids not be brought up by some crazy mermaid colony. Do you really want that?"

"Of course not!" Cleo exclaimed, indignant.

"Then we agree – we find a way to take the thing and get it back to Varine,"

Cleo sighed, and nodded begrudgingly.

Ryan had just left and was starting to get further away.

"I'll follow him," Rikki said. "You guys tell the others, and catch up,"

Bella and Cleo didn't get time to respond. After Rikki had a quick scan to see if any human eyes were watching, she dived into the water and began to follow Ryan's boat.