Chapter 130

Chapter 130

The adults moved quickly towards the door. They weren't sure what they would find, but they knew they would need to be quick. Rikki was in the lead. She peered through the window nearest the door. Rikki sucked in a sharp breath and ducked down again.
That was close!
There were two men walking around, patrolling. Rikki had peeked in just as one of them went past. She waited and soon the hallway was clear.

"Guards patrolling," Rikki whispered, "We've got to go in now before they come back around,"

The others nodded.
"Where is Ash?" Cleo asked.
"He was at the van," Zane said, "We don't have time to wait for him,"

Quickly they sneaked into the building and ducked into a small side room. As they did, they could faintly hear a man further down the hall – someone was speaking loudly. They couldn't make out his words, but if anyone was barking instructions it was probably Ryan.

They moved into the hallway again and quietly moved forward.
Tap-tap-tap-tap.
The sound of footsteps was coming closer. Rikki pointed aggressively at the next room up the hallway. They dashed inside and tucked in behind the door.
Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap. The steps paused. Cleo hoped they couldn't hear her thumping heartbeat. Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap.

The footsteps grew fainter as they moved away.

Cleo released the breath she didn't know she was holding.

She knew that this would likely end in a fight, but they didn't want to tip their hand before they were ready. At the moment, surprise was on their side.

There was a double-door entrance at the end of the hallway. This was the main section of the warehouse. They knew their children were inside. It was time to face the villain.

OoOoO

"Welcome everyone. Today I bring you live evidence of mermaids and mermen among us," Ryan started with bravado. "I was able to capture these specimens in the ocean between the mainland and Mako Island,"

Ryan was slightly disappointed that noone had yet clicked on his livestream, but no matter, it had only just started, and he knew he would post this link many places at the end of the stream. He pushed this out of his mind so he could focus on his words.

"This is a momentous occasion and huge discovery for the scientific community! We have proof that mythical sea creatures existed and still exist today! " he said enthusiastically, "I have been searching for live evidence for some time now! Here are three juvenile mers: two males - twins, and a female,"

Ryan gestured for the man near the camera to turn it towards the mers. They had been placed in a large glass tank so that their tails would be on full display – conscious enough that they could tread water but still weak and not coherent enough to plan an attack.

"These mers can swim at amazing speeds and they have incredible influence and control over water. Imagine what else we can discover about this species now that the world knows about it? The research and possibilities for harnessing their powers! There is so much we can learn and do! I want..."

Ryan was interrupted as the hallway door burst open. He turned to face the intruders.

"You!" he shouted.

OoOoO

Zane and Anna pushed open the doors.

There were the kids and Ryan.

"I want..." Ryan trailed off as he took in his unwelcome visitors.

The group moved into the room quickly, not wanting to lose momentum.