Pests

Chapter 46

Drew Moseley returned home and for the next few days, his mind was occupied by what he had seen on the private side of Mako Island. What had the café owner, Rikki been doing? He just could not keep that village a secret. What a find! Stuff the prosecution. He had to tell someone to get it out of his system. Rikki would never find out.

Later that day, Drew told his older brother, his friend, his role model what he had seen. His brother Thomas listened respectfully but then told Drew he was talking nonsense.
"But Thomas! I swear to you there is a village made of something similar to glass on that island!" Thomas gave him a look.

"Tom!"

"Look buddy, it's hard to believe that there is a magical village on Mako."

"Can I show you?" Drew asked earnestly.

"Fine. I'd like to go hiking anyway. I have work off this weekend, how about Saturday?"

Drew nodded enthusiastically, "It's a date."

OoOoO

Thomas was extremely sceptical of his brother's claims and did not expect to find anything. He was just going to enjoy the day. Drew led Thomas through the bush on the way to the 'village.' Thomas saw the No Trespassing signs and felt a little uneasy.

"Are you sure we should go further in, mate?" He asked hesitantly. Drew gave him an incredulous look.

"Tom, are you chickening out?"

"Of course not," he retorted trying to keep his pride in front of his little brother. Drew found the gate and snuck inside, Thomas on his heels.

"Here it is," Drew announced quietly when they reached the top of this hill. Thomas' jaw dropped. It was there, real. He had never seen anything like it.

OoOoO

Alan drove up to the small apartment block. After parking his car, he went to the doorway and pressed number 7's buzzer.

"Hey Jess it's me," he said into it. The door unlocked and he made his way up into his girlfriend's apartment.

He knocked on her door and it was opened with a flourish.

"Alan!" the bubbly Jessie exclaimed.

"Hey Jess!" he smiled and greeted her with a kiss on the cheek.

"Come in," she said.

They walked together into her living room and sat on the couch. There they got into their regular exchange of conversation. As Jessie was talking about work, she was unaware that her boyfriend was staring at her, not in the least paying attention to what she was saying. He was thinking about how beautiful she looked when she was passionate about something.

"…and yeah, so how has work been for you?" she asked.

"Sorry, what?" he said jerking himself out of his stupor. She giggled as he gently tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "I was asking about how work has been," she said hesitantly half-focused on the way his thumb was making patterns on her palm.

"You are so beautiful," he muttered. Jessie blushed. How was he doing this to her? He was probably the only person who could render her speechless. She barely had time to register as he leant in to kiss her. He moved his arms around her waist as he kissed her gently. Slowly, she put her arms around his neck. He was an amazing guy.
They finally pulled apart breathless. "You never answered my question," Jessie said accusingly. Alan smiled, she was incredible and he was so lucky to have her.

OoOoO

"…and you say that this Rikki, the owner of the café told you not to tell?" Thomas asked. They had returned to the mainland and Drew told his story, this time with an eagerly listening brother.