Chapter 89

Chapter 89

The kids had gone to bed by the time the full moon rose a few nights later. All of a sudden, the ground started shaking. At first, it was gentle but quickly it escalated into a tumultuous earthquake. Items began falling and the very walls of the gel water building looked like they were about to shatter. There had never been an earthquake like this before on the island. There were not many solid structures to shelter beneath. They needed to get outside. Emma and Cleo who had been over at the Benjamin’s raced back to their own houses.

Bella went to wake her kids and get them outside. Will picked up the already rousing Stefani. When Bella approached Jacob’s bed, she noticed that he, still asleep, had his arms stretched above him and it looked like he was using his powers. She shook his shoulder, trying to regain her balance.

“Jake, we need to go,” She shook his shoulder again. His eyes opened and the earthquake stopped instantly.

Bella’s jaw fell open. What? Was her son subconsciously causing the tremors in his sleep?

“What’s wrong, Mum?” he asked sleepily.

“Ah…” Bella hesitated.

“There was an earthquake,” Will said from the doorway.

Stefani yawned. “Yeah, it shaky,” she commented drowsily from her father’s arms.

Bella supposed that now the quake had stopped, she could take her time to leave the house. She grabbed a couple of caps and stuck them on the kids’ heads before leading them outside.

“Don’t look at the moon,” she reminded them gently.

The villagers all stood in the clearing between the buildings, the majority in their pyjamas. Many of the kids were terrified. Rikki was rocking a hysterical Fi with an annoyed yet anxious expression on her face. Lewis was comforting Hayden. Emma was kneeling, hugging her daughters, Ariana and Amelia. Anna was comforting Natalie, and Ben, Maddie. Their son, Daniel, Cleo’s Andy and the other older kids were actually looking more excited than anything else – maybe a little disoriented.

“What was that?” Eric asked.

“It was an earthquake,” Jennifer replied matter-of-factly.

“It was,” Lewis confirmed.

“Do you think it’s safe to get them back to bed?” Anna asked.

“Well, we haven’t felt any aftershocks yet…” Lewis said.

“I don’t know if we will,” Bella said. She looked at her son. “Jake can create earthquakes – but I think he was causing it in his sleep,”