Chapter 80

Chapter 80

When Rikki returned from the café, Lewis showed her what he had found.

“What Fi has, we think it is Zerailia, a mutation like we thought,” he showed her the hidden pages. Rikki read over the information. She sighed in relief.

“At least we know it’s just a harmless mermaid mutation, not some kind of disease. So let me get this straight,” Rikki began. “Other than the fact she has gills and legs, she is like mers in every other way?”

“I think so,” Lewis replied.

“I hope she doesn’t feel ostracised from our other kids as she grows up – knowing she’s different,” Rikki said.

“If we make sure the others don’t treat her different, then I’m sure it’ll be fine,” Lewis said. “Don’t forget, her father and uncles, except for Ben, are all human. At least she can breathe underwater,”

Rikki smiled, “And she’s going to have a much easier time hiding her secret – no danger of exposure still with cool powers,” Rikki said. “You know what, I might actually be a bit jealous – now, I wouldn’t trade my tail for the world, but the situations we could’ve avoided by not transforming on contact with water…”

OoOoO

When Hunter stormed out of the office, Anna and Jessie stood there in shock, half not believing what had just happened. After a minute of silence, Jessie released a heavy breath and turned to her friend and colleague. Anna had dropped down onto her chair, emotionally drained. Jessie pulled her own chair out and lowered herself slowly down, in a daze.

“Wow,” Jessie said simply. “Unbelievable,”

“That man…” Anna began, trailing off. Jessie knew what she was thinking. They were in for a load of trouble.

OoOoO

When Alan picked his girlfriend up from work that day, he knew something was wrong. Jessie was still shaky, reeling from the encounter with an insane version of Hunter.

“Hey,” Alan said, “What’s up?” he asked concernedly.

“Um,” Jessie began as she sat in the passenger seat, “I…” she didn’t know how to put it. She was still distracted by what had happened.

“Jess?” Alan asked.

“Hunter threatened us again…” she started. Although Alan was still focusing on the road, Jessie saw his grip on the wheel tighten and his expression darken, a scowl spreading across his face.