Chapter 100

Chapter 100

"I have. I'm sorry. I just...I know I have a lot of explaining to do," Talei said with a sigh, her voice catching from the tears still in her throat. Talei pulled herself up onto the steps once more with a grunt. "If you would like to come with me, I'll take you into my home." Using her powers, she was human within seconds. The mermaids looked at each other before following suit, drying themselves on the steps. Talei and Vatu led the way up the steps which spiralled upwards around the cave walls. The convoy of adults and children looked around appreciating the beautiful blue that the rock was lit up by with every step they took.

Talei led them through a tall archway at the top of the staircase.

"Welcome to my abode,"

Dried seaweed clumps burnt as lanterns around the circular cave. Detailed tapa cloth or masi were hung around the room, and a few unfinished items sat on the floor beside a wooden chair. A fire pit with a cooking pot hung above it was to the right. There was frozen box in which fish could be seen. Talei obviously froze perishable food. Fruit was in a woven basket.

"Where do you get your food from?" Arieta asked, curious.

"I do venture out of the caverns," Talei said, "The fruit is from around this island. Fish is easy to get, and sometimes Vatu will get some for me, and herself of course. It's not really different from what you eat in the village. I usually spend my days swimming or creating masi cloths. It's not a bad life," she said, giving them a half smile. "Arieta, I'm sorry I left, but I think you would understand why."

OoOoO

"Would you think about moving back to the village, Nana Levu?" Arieta asked. Talei sighed.

"I don't know, luvequ yalewa. Do you think I would be welcome after all this time?" she asked.

"There is only one way to find out," Arieta responded.

After being served a delicious meal of fruit (severely depleting Talei's fruit supplies), the convoy set back out through the caves and swam back to the main islands. Arieta taking the boat of course. The children has reluctantly said goodbye to Vatu, who they had played and bonded with while the women were catching up.

On the beach, the mers dried themselves off and walked to the dock to wait for Arieta. Talei had her fists clenched. She felt unbelievably nervous. Would her family feel betrayed? Would they betray her? Did they still remember the secret? Of course they did, she chastised herself. That kind of miracle became lore in Fijian villages. Talei took a deep breath. She didn't want to have to hide away forever. She could do this.

The sun was high in the sky by the time the group made it back to the resort. The mermaids decided to stay back and look after the children – the adults doubted the young ones would enjoy more socialising with adults early in the morning. In addition to this, they mutually decided to let Talei's reunion with the villagers be a private moment, without their foreign presence being obtrusive. Arieta and Talei trekked the familiar path to the village, the latter becoming increasingly anxious.

Arieta reached for her great aunt's hand, and squeezed it in reassurance.

"They're going to hate me," Talei muttered under her breath.

"They're not going to hate you," Arieta responded rolling her eyes. "They'll understand, just like I do."

Talei looked at her somewhat disbelieving. "Not everyone is as forgiving and open minded as you are, Ari."

Arieta and Talei walked straight to Arieta's home. Her mother would be starting her chores for the day.

"Bula Nana," Arieta greeted her mother.