Chapter 136

Chapter 136

It was ready to be sent. Everyone was equally excited and apprehensive about sending the draft to be peer reviewed, and thus starting to progress towards publishing, and the biggest secret they had ever kept becoming a bit less secret.

Katya, Alan, Linda and Lewis had painstakingly put it together. They looked over all the details included with excruiating detail to make sure there was nothing that could be linked back to the participants on Mako. The key parts included the evidence, recognising mermaids as sentient beings, physical abilities and form (not including powers), and the DNA sequencing. They did not mention the 'how to be a mermaid' and did not emphasise the role water has in changing between tail and legged forms.

The evidence samples would be presented alongside the paper for the researchers peer reviewing it. Katya and Linda would be the ones presenting it and doing all the publicity when the inevitable attention started from the public and scientific community alike. This way there would be less chance of anyone linking it back to Alan and Lewis' families.

"Ready team?" Linda asked. They were gathered at Linda's house. There was a round of nods. You could cut the tension in the room with a knife – a bundle of nervous and excited energy. "Alrighty," she continued, "Let's do this!". And with that, Dr Denman pressed send on the email submission.

Lewis let out a heavy breath.

"No going back," he said, leaning back against the couch.

"Linda and I have our meeting to share the evidence on Wednesday. It gives the panel a few days to read through the article first before seeing what we present," Katya commented. "Our research won't be known to the public until it is officially published. While not all articles receive large amounts of attention, when already know that this topic will draw a lot of interest. Enjoy the time over the next few weeks before the media storm," she grinned.

"We'll try," Emma smiled tightly.

"I just wanted to thank you all," Katya began. "I know that this is difficult for you all – but I really really appreciate you giving this a chance. And me a chance,"

"Thank you Katya," Rikki replied, giving her a quick pat on the arm. "I wasn't for this at the start, and things could still go wrong, but thank you for giving us this opportunity in such a collaborative way. I think we all appreciate that," she finished looking around at her friends for confirmation. They all nodded their agreement.

OoOoO

That evening the older children were hanging out together in the great climbing tree a short walk down the path from the village on Mako. Jenny was trying to see how high she could go.

"Hey Jake, I want to make us a safety mat, just in case we fall," Jenny said, ever thinking ahead. She moved water around the base of the large tree they were in. "Auntie Emma always tells us to be careful when climbing. Can you make this water jelly elastic?"

Jake grinned. "Yep," he answered, and within seconds the ground around the tree was gelatine and he twisted his hand again and the gelatine became elasticised.

"Nice job," Jenny said with a proud smile. She stood on the branch she had been sitting on and began to climb higher. Jake, Charlie and Daniel followed suit. Andy and Leila were quite happy to watch, resting on their branches.

Once the kids were happy with their new tree climbing heights, they started to make their way down.

"I'm going to try out your jelly mat," Charlie called out with a grin.

"No, don't do..." Jenny started.

But Charlie jumped out from the lower tree branch before Jenny could finish her sentence.