Chapter 95

Chapter 95

"You're right," Jessie said.

Arieta smiled genuinely.

"I'm glad you trust me. I promise not to reveal you to anyone without your permission," Arieta responded. It seemed like a thought suddenly occurred to her – a spark danced across her eyes. She was excited. "So you really are mermaids." She said in awe – it seemed like the confirmation was just settling in. Jessie nodded in response, grinning. She loved this part of wonder when a friend come to know the secret.

"So, how did you become...were you always..." Arieta trailed off. They were all enjoying her flustered wonder filled state.

"We all have different stories of how we became mermaids," Cleo explained. "We..."

"Wait, all of you?" Arieta interrupted, eyes wide. They all nodded their acknowledgment. "Wow! I never even...all of you." She continued in a tone of wonder. "So how do you become a mermaid?"

"There are mermen too," Daniel piped up, not wanting to have his gender left out. Anna shot her son a disapproving look for interrupting.

"Apologies," Arieta smiled at him. "How do you become a mer?" she corrected.

Jennifer discretely took Daniel's hand and led him away from the adults.

"We all became mermaids at different times," Cleo answered. "All the kids are mers because of the mer gene being stronger than the human. Fi is the only child without a tail, but she inherited other fish-like qualities." She continued, gesturing to the baby she was still holding.

"I was born a mermaid too," Jessie revealed. "My mother was a mermaid – she was changed when she was in her twenties I believe. I've only heard what my Dad has told me – she died when I was a baby. My older brother, Luke, was born human, like Fi I guess, but he can't breathe underwater like she can, just hold his breath for an epic time for a non-mer."

"When you say 'changed' or 'transformed,' what do you mean?" Arieta asked, her wide eyes eagerly taking in all the information.

"We were transformed by the full moon..." Bella said.

"Isn't the full moon supposed to be for werewolves?" Arieta asked rhetorically.

"You'd think so," Rikki chuckled quietly.

"Sorry, continue," Arieta said.

"I was transformed in a pool in Ireland. I still remember the feeling of being drawn to it," Bella said. "I remember being surprised at how warm the water was when I stepped in. When the full moon rose above the pool, the water started bubbling. The following day, after touching water, I discovered what had happened. Being so young, it was pretty scary, but exciting, especially after I found out I had powers. I eventually told my grandfather after a particular scare, and he helped me deal with the secret and keep it successfully." Bella smiled at the memory.

"Rikki, Cleo and I were transformed at the same time, when we were fifteen, at an island called Mako on the Gold Coast of Australia. We just happened to fall upon the moon pool cavern..." Emma explained. Cleo raised her eyebrows at Emma.

"Fell upon? Really?" Cleo said. Emma smirked.

"Well, did you want me to spell out that you were too scared to jump so you fell down a hole in the rocks?"

"Shut up," Cleo said quietly, a small smile of her own playing on her lips. She knew how much of a scaredy-cat she had been. Arieta watched with quiet amusement.

"Anyway," Emma started again. "Because the entrance was too step to climb up with Cleo's now damaged ankle, we decided to swim out through the pool. It bubbled as Bella described when the moon was overhead. We didn't transform until we touched water just over twelve hours later."

"Fortunately it was early in the morning," Rikki added in. "I transformed while I was walking – I got hit by a sprinkler. Fortunately, no one was around to see it. But let me tell you, it was incredibly awkward." Rikki continued. "There I was, a beached fish, transformed for the first time, thinking it was some bizarre dream, lying next to a sprinkler. I had to roll away..."

There were a few snickers from the listening audience. "It's okay, I can laugh about it now – honestly, it took me a few years to tell the others the whole story. Anyway, I pinched myself – I honestly believed I was dreaming, and lay there for a few minutes. That was until I panicked about a person coming by and seeing me in my aquatic creature state. I rolled away, down the footpath..."

Arieta guffawed at the image. Rikki grinned, enjoying the elicited response.

"And then finally, about five minutes later, I dried out and returned to my human form. I don't know how I could have explained that to an onlooker if there was any. We eventually figured out we had powers and yeah, managed the transformation."

"My husband Ben and were transformed in the same pool just over a decade ago," Anna said.

"How many of these pools are there?" Arieta asked.

"Countless –probably. We do not know, but there seems to be many all over the place. We have met quite a few other mers who were transformed in other places," Emma said. "And there are probably many mermaid kingdoms and groups out there. The possibilities are endless with magic."

"Right. Thank you so very much for sharing all of this with me. I really appreciate it," Arieta beamed at the women.

"Mum," Andy moaned. Cleo turned towards her daughter. "Can we go back yet? You've been talking for ages."

Arieta apologised, and the group began moving again towards the resort.

"I wonder where my Nana Levu was changed," Arieta commented.

"I suppose you may never know," Emma said. "But maybe you'll discover the place accidentally. It would be local right? If your Nana Levu hadn't really left this island."

Arieta nodded, considering it. "Maybe," she smiled at them.

Once back at their accommodation, they parted ways. They all thanked Arieta again for inviting them to the village, saying they had a marvellous time. Arieta responded by saying the pleasure was all hers, thanking them for trusting her enough to reveal the secret she was fascinated by.

A/N: Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'm glad you all enjoyed the previous.

I'm back at University again, in my second week of classes of B Semester. I have now passed the halfway point towards my undergraduate degree - quite exciting really.

I was quite excited to find out that Cariba Heine might be guest starring on Season 3 of Mako Mermaids, I hear in the last two episodes. It will be awesome to see the writers' take on what Rikki is up to all these years later.

Anyway, Thanks so much to the following people for reviewing! You mean the world to me and I really appreciate the time you take to leave a review :D

Thanks so much to chloeic11, Trouble-neglects-me, redranger, SarahLC, Eternal_Flame, and luukielove12 for commenting!

I'll see you all next time!