Chapter 82

Chapter 82

“These photos could have been photo-shopped,” Denman said. “A DNA sample would probably be more ample evidence. Are photos such firm truths?”

“Now why would I fabricate information, doctor? I swear on my life that these photos depict an actual event I witnessed. They are not fraudulent in any way,” Hunter stated earnestly. “And you know it,” he added with a smirk. There was a moment’s silence as Denman contemplated what the young man had said.

“You know Hunter, this girl looks pretty scared. Have you thought about her livelihood?”

“Yes, I have,” he said. “She deserves to suffer – she used her mermaid magic on me,”

Denman got a chill from how deranged the man looked.

“I thought you didn’t care about all that, just the science,” Hunter continued with a scowl.

“Well,” Denman began, “To a degree…Look, how much are you thinking?”

Denman was conflicted but she knew that this man would just go to another scientist, another scientist without the same morals. A scientist like the one she used to be.

She had promised the girls that she would never bother them regarding this again. Then again, the mermaid in this picture was not them. She hit closer to home. If she pursued this, it would cost her her relationship with her nephew, Alan. She mused over her options.

“Ten thousand dollars,” Hunter stated confidently.

“That’s an awful large sum for a few photos,” Denman replied.

“Doctor, think about the research projects you can launch and the benefits for the larger scientific community that you can have from this purchase. I think it is a fair demand.” Hunter watched Denman contemplate the offer.

Was it worth it? Her options were to either buy the photos or not. If she bought the photos though, what would she do with them? She could do the research she had wanted to do all those years earlier and get the substantial royalties, forcing Jessie into submission. Another option was to ask Jessie if she was interested – a kind of consultation research – she would only do what the mermaid wanted. She could do it in a way that proved mermaids existed without revealing her subject’s name. Still, she could buy the photos but keep them a secret. In any case, if before she bought them she would have to get a lawyer she trusted to draw up a strong confidentiality agreement  with no loopholes, so that Hunter could never mention or pursue mermaid research again. The final option was to reject Hunter’s proposal and send him on his way.

The more she thought over it, the more Denman realised that she had to buy the photos, either to exploit the mermaid or save her, the best and most riskless option was to buy them herself. However, what to do about money? Ten thousand was a huge sum if she was not going to use the evidence for research. Unless she took it from her pocket account the board was never going to go for it, she would have to explain in detail. No.