Chapter 103

Chapter 103

"If only it were that simple," Varine said.

"Why isn't it simple? You said we could go," Rikki replied indignant.

"I never said that explicitly," Varine said. "In exchange for our warm hospitality, I would like you to do something for me,"

"But..." Bella started to interrupt. Varine held up her hand before she could continue. The usual air of superior authority that the Queen exuded seemed to lessen for a brief moment as she took a deep breath.

"Look, I need your help," the Queen sighed. "It occurred to me that you might be the miracle I am looking for,"

"Why should we help you? You basically kidnapped us," Emma exclaimed.

Varine shrugged, unapologetic.

"You violate one of our society's most important rules by swimming in our waters with the mermen children you should have surrendered to your mates. I can deal with you according to our decrees – you are acting within my waters of authority. I will tell you now that the first action our people take will be to send your mermen spawn to where they belong," Varine said haughtily.

"You're threatening us?" Cleo asked outraged.

Varine smiled nastily at them.

"I have the power to get you to do what I want, if you do not volunteer yourself for this opportunity. I will use it if I need to,"

"What is it that you will have us do?" Jessie asked warily.

"My mother gave me a precious necklace as my coming of age gift. This necklace had been passed for generations from mermaid to mermaid – mother to eldest daughter. A merman I mated with a few seasons ago stole it from me. It was made from water, water where my ancestresses were born, the cord created with their magic, and a moon jewel held fast in the centre. I need you to retrieve it for me," Varine said. "It is my eldest daughter's coming of age ceremony in a moon's cycle, and it has been impossible to retrieve, but now, you are here,"

"Why didn't you try get it off the merman who stole it in the first place?" Rikki asked.

Varine looked indignant.

"Of course we tried. The merman was banished from his clan once his offence was found out. But he ran with it, and in the swim, the necklace was dropped in the struggle. The dratted humans decided that it was time to do some swimming, so we had to leave it and hide. We had to watch as a diver picked it up and swam away, back to their boat."

"If a human has it, how are we supposed to find it? That thing could be anywhere!" Emma exclaimed.

"I had my best scout follow the boat. Khasha told me that she saw the building of the docks they went into," Varine said.

"It won't be still there," Jessie said. "Humans do temporary very well. Did Khasha see an identifying logo or anything?"

"Logo?" Varine questioned.

"A picture, or...or something distinct marking the boat or the building," Anna added in.

"Khasha," Varine called, gesturing for the mermaid that was just leaving the room to come forward.

"Yes?"

"Did you see anything like that? Any pictures?" Varine asked.

"There was a circular image, a sunken ship and a treasure chest...there was human writing around the outside," Khasha described.