Chapter 99

Chapter 99

"Would you ever consider going back?" Cleo asked.

"No," Talei's response was immediate. There was a beat before she spoke again. "I don't know."

"You don't seem sure," Emma commented.

"I..." Talei began. "I love being a mermaid. I love the freedom I have in the water. I love being free of responsibilities. I love being free of judgement, but..." she trailed off, sighing.

"You're lonely," Anna said. Talei looked at her. She sighed again.

"Not that Vatu isn't great company, I...I guess I miss people,"

Vatu made a grunt of indignation. "You know I love you, Vatu," Talei reassured her. There was another grunt and squeak and the Dakuwaqa seemed to smile.

"Don't get me wrong, my life isn't boring to say the least" Talei continued. "The Sawa-i-lau caves are a magnet for sea creatures just like Vatu. Vatu says that the magic draws them here. Unfortunately, they are not as good tempered as she is; to keep living here, at certain times of year we have to fight them off. Only magic and the moon's light can open this hidden cave, and others within the caves. Most creatures turn away once Vatu uses her abilities on them; they acknowledge the Dakuwaqa is a powerful creature. But here comes a point where using magic, fighting creatures, and hiding away loses its appeal," Talei said.

"Why hide away in the caverns?" Rikki asked. "Why not swim to another one of the Fijian islands? Why not swim to another country to live there?"

"I..." Talei looked shocked. "I hadn't really thought about that..." she paused, collecting her thoughts. "When I was discovered, I thought about going to another island in Fiji. I realised that to be normal in any community here, water is a major part of everyday activities, I would have to be incredibly careful...and I wasn't sure if I could do it; keep it secret. I could see everyone finding out and then telling others. I didn't know if I could risk it," She said. "As for the living in another country? I hadn't really considered that, but I don't know the first thing about living in another culture. I feel like with more access to media, it could be an even bigger risk." She sighed. "I just wanted to be normal. Now...I feel like I should have stuck it out...maybe the wariness and awe would have passed and I could have gone back to my life before all of this happened to me...I sometimes wish that I hadn't used my powers at all...then I would never have been caught...but then other times I am grateful; I would never have met Vatu otherwise."

"I don't know what I would do if we were exposed," Cleo commented. "We actually live on an island together, just us mermaids, our husbands and our kids. We, like you I'm sure, became very good at hiding our secret."

"Yeah," Emma agreed. "We actually live on the island which most of us changed on."

"You all changed too?" Talei asked.

"Not all of us – Jessie was born as a mermaid – her mother was changed," Anna said. "Emma, Cleo and Rikki all changed at the same time, and Bella, and my husband Ben, and I changed at different times." She continued. "Our children all inherited our mermaid DNA."

"Your husband is a merman?" Talei asked with her eyes wide.

"He is," Anna smiled.

"And your children are mers as well?"

"They are," Anna tried to hold back her grin at Talei's bewildered expression.

"Our kids that were old enough to swim to Fiji, and the exception of baby Fi, are actually in the previous cavern," Bella informed the mermaid. Talei looked dumbfounded. "In fact, they're probably wondering what is taking us so long."