Unwelcome Visitor

Chapter 43

On the 9th of May, Drew Moseley decided to go camping on Mako Island. Drew was a short young man with round face and dark brown hair. He had dropped out of school and was currently awaiting confirmation for at least one of the jobs he had applied for. His parents were hesitant to let him go alone to the wild Mako but with the reception tower that had mysteriously appeared and only half the island available to the public, they felt he would be safe enough, he had gone camping there enough times before. After Drew had set up his campsite, he decided to explore the island. He took a pack with a water bottle, a cell phone, map, first aid kit and food. He hoped not to get lost.

Drew walked for a long time taking in the scenery and mentally noting down where he was and where he had been in order to get back. He came along a river and started to follow that for some way. Eventually he came across a fence. He had reached the end of the public section of Mako for this direction. He sighed. He had wanted to continue following the river.  Should he dare pass the private property boundaries? He was ever so curious... no one had been on that half of the island since it had been bought many years earlier – what secrets did it hold? No one except the council and probably family knew the identities of the owners. Were they trying to cover up a large secret? Surely, the owners did not need half of the island. His curiosity got the better of him. ‘They will never find out’ he thought to himself, ‘the island is big enough, I won’t disturb anything...’ This is what justified his actions in his mind as he scaled the wire fence. He crossed that forbidden line into the private half of the island, ignoring the signs that said ‘Private Property’ and ‘Trespassers will be prosecuted.’ As he continued to walk, he came across a rocky outcrop where there was a waterfall. This waterfall lead into the river he had been following. This part of the island was really beautiful. Drew wondered why it was closed to the public. Maybe the owners had chosen the best scenic areas for themselves. He walked along this, jumping over the rocks feeling rather bold out in the open. Drew caught himself just in time. He would have fallen down an ominous deep hole, hidden in the rocks; the slope looked rather steep. He looked again, was that a rope? Suddenly he heard a group of people talking and crashing through the bush on the other side of the rocky outcrop. He looked at his watch. It was just after four. He dashed as carefully and quickly as he dared back into the bushes. That had been too close. His curiosity was not satisfied. He would be back to investigate further.

OoOoO

The mer-residence of the island were making their way to the moon pool to launch out to the mainland. The humans were down at their wharf the boys had made to launch their boats.  Eric had broken his arm falling off the school monkey bars and could not swim so he went along with them. This they did not knowing that a young man had trespassed. They were having Will’s 32nd Birthday dinner at the cafe on the mainland; this was of course to be able to invite his and Cleo’s work colleagues.

OoOoO

At about nine the next morning, Drew set out again. After quite a while walking, he reached the rocky outcrop he had reached the day previous.  He peered down the hole. The rope reached down, probably to the bottom. Drew carefully slid down and looked around himself when he reached the bottom.  He looked around himself in wonder at the cavern he had found himself in. There was a tunnel. Being as curious as he was, of course he walked through it. Wow. There was a pretty little pool underneath what must be a volcanic cone.  If only he had brought a camera. However, being the way he was, after admiring its beauty he wrote it off as just another pretty cave. He backtracked and climbed back up the rope. He decided to keep moving inland.