Chapter 69

Chapter 69

Rikki’s P.O.V

This was agony. Hospitals were the pits. When were they going to let me see him? Why was Zane always the one injured? We had only been here a few months earlier.

“Mrs Bennett?” A nurse called. Cleo squeezed my hand reassuringly.

“Yes?"

“You may see your husband now. We regret to inform you that he is in a coma. It is a miracle that the electrocution did not kill him.” My heart sank.

“How long until he wakes up?” I asked. My voice sounded unnaturally small.

“That is undetermined,” she said, an apologetic look on her face.

OoOoO

There he was. Asleep in a hospital bed, cords penetrating his skin to keep him alive. How could this happen? I remembered that Alex and Jay had run past giggling. Surely they didn’t cause this. But then again, only Fi and myself could’ve caused it otherwise, but that was a ridiculous theory. Fi had no powers. She had been born human. I couldn’t have caused it, could I?

“Zane, honey,” I began. I uncharacteristically felt like I was going to cry. “Please come back to us. I don’t know what or who caused this, but…I can’t live without you.” I bit my lip. ‘Pull yourself together, Rikki’ I thought. I felt a tear slip from my eye. I wiped it away abruptly before gripping Zane’s hand tighter. I couldn’t hold it together. I was mortified as the floodgates opened. I thanked God that no one else was in the room.

Normal P.O.V

Over the next week, Rikki spent many visiting hours sitting with Zane, talking to him, willing him to come back to the world. The kids did not really understand why Daddy was asleep for so long.

“Is he really tired?” Alex had asked one evening.

“Something like that,” Rikki replied weakly.

OoOoO

Two weeks after the accident, Zane’s condition had not changed. He was in a stable coma and doctors were unsure as to when he would wake up. Zane had slept through his 34th birthday and the Bennetts had had a mini celebration in the hospital room, for their five kids’ sakes.